The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Best UFC Career without ever being champ Vote_lcapBest UFC Career without ever being champ Voting_barBest UFC Career without ever being champ Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Best UFC Career without ever being champ Vote_lcapBest UFC Career without ever being champ Voting_barBest UFC Career without ever being champ Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Best UFC Career without ever being champ

Go down 
+6
Krieger
samger2
Chrom
Triggerman99
Grey Suit
stock
10 posters
AuthorMessage
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35201

Best UFC Career without ever being champ Empty
PostSubject: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Just a conversation for shits and giggles.

Wondering who you all think has had the best UFC Career while never being a UFC Champion.
Here's a list of possible nominees for starters:

Urijah Faber
Florian
Sonnen
Diaz
Fitch
Koscheck
Leben
Mendes
Bisping
Kampmann
Marquardt

I am sure I am missing someone... probably someone from back in the day.
However, I am going to go with Urijah Faber.
He's never had a UFC belt. He is 6-2 in the UFC, with his only losses in title fights.
He hasn't had a belt in any organization since 2008. In that span he is 0-5 in title fights and 9-0 in non-title fights in two different weight classes.
Back to top Go down
Grey Suit
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grey Suit

Standard Cash : 31187

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Kenflo
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Yeah Florian is the first name that pops into my head, but I'm sure there's somebody else I'm forgetting. I don't really lend much credibility to Faber's record of "only losing in title fights". He gets offered more title shots than anybody I can remember, so I'm not really all that impressed with his record of beating a few middle of the pack fighters and then being handed yet another title shot.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Yeah, fair enough.
I just think it's quite a stat to 9-5 in your last 14 fights and all your losses are in title fights.
However, much of that was in a different org so doesn't add as much relavence to this subject.

Florian:
Since going to lightweight he's had 14 fights (all against pretty top level guys at the time save for Kit Cope).
His only losses were to Sean Sherk, BJ Penn and Gray Maynard (two were title fights).
Then at FW, he is 1-1 with the loss to Aldo in a title fight.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Faber and Bigg Rigg
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Wasn't Florian at MW or WW when he fought Kit Cope?
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10314

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm going with Florian. I became a big fan after season 1 of TUF...he looked terrible on the show and then upped his game by leaps and bounds and started kicking ass. I still feel like he's the most improved fighter to ever come from the TUF roster.

And on top of all that right after his first post TUF fight I messaged him on myspace and he messaged me back thanking me for the the support. That went a long way with me.
Back to top Go down
Grey Suit
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grey Suit

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Triggerman99 wrote:
Wasn't Florian at MW or WW when he fought Kit Cope?

Yeah the title fight with Sherk was the first 155 lb fight in to UFC. Kenny was not ready for a title shot at that point and was just kind of thrown to the wolves.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5740

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Dave Tank Abbott
Nick Diaz
Gary Goodridge
Jeremy Horn
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7968

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 2:38 pm

shouldnt hendo qualify for this too?
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3792

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 4:55 pm

No, Dan Henderson was a (although sort of forgotten) UFC champion, beating another future UFC champion (Carlos Newton) for his title.

Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16398

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 2:02 am

chris lytle
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 3:16 am

Werdum?
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Snake Five wrote:
No, Dan Henderson was a (although sort of forgotten) UFC champion, beating another future UFC champion (Carlos Newton) for his title.

i dont think that tournament really counts as being a champ. hendo is not written down as a ufc champ in any sources ive looked up.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Dan Henderson is a whiney tool, that's why he doesn't count.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 8:08 am

Bisping, ken-flo ,Dan hardy and chris lytle.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 am

Triggerman99 wrote:
Dan Henderson is a whiney tool, that's why he doesn't count.

I thought about Hendu, but his UFC career really hasn't been that good. He barely has a winning record in the UFC (6-5?).
If you take away that one day in 1998 under the wierd one 15 minute round tournament style, he's only 4-5. Plus, I feel Carlos Newton kicked his ass in that fight.

Since coming back to the UFC he started 0-2 in back-to-back title fights in two different weight classes.
Then he put on the best streak of his UFC career and won 3 fights in a row (paul harris, barely franklin, and hendu bomb bisping). But then he decided to leave the UFC so he could get completely owned by Jake Shields in Strikeforce.
He came back again to win a decision over Rua, but then went on to lose 3 in a row.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!
even to the blasphemous one that called hendo a whiney tool  Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3792

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 4:28 pm

I don't know I've always counted tournament champions as champions, although I'll be damned if I count TUF winners as UFC champions.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Well it's different, though. To use this example, Henderson fought and defeated other UFC fighters to be crowned the tournament champion. TUF fighters aren't yet UFC fighters, nor are they fighting and defeating other UFC fighters. So in essence, they aren't really champions of anything. They just earned the right to fight for the UFC by winning that tournament.
Back to top Go down
Grey Suit
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grey Suit

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Gecko wrote:
Bisping, ken-flo ,Dan hardy and chris lytle.

Best UFC Career without ever being champ Henderson-vs-bisping-knockout-o

Best UFC Career without ever being champ Hgfhfg-o

Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Best UFC Career without ever being champ Bispin10

Best UFC Career without ever being champ Bispin11

Best UFC Career without ever being champ Bispin10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best UFC Career without ever being champ   Best UFC Career without ever being champ Empty

Back to top Go down

Best UFC Career without ever being champ
Page 1 of 1