The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers Vote_lcapDenying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers Voting_barDenying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers Vote_lcapDenying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers Voting_barDenying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers

Go down 
+3
FistK
Chrom
Triggerman99
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59444

Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers Empty
PostSubject: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Quote :
Rousimar Palhares came under heavy scrutiny following his 31-second heel hook victory over Mike Pierce at UFC Fight Night 29: Maia vs. Shields on Wednesday night in Barueri, Sao Paulo, Brazil.

And now, he finds himself without a job.

The fight was brief, but when Palhares submitted Pierce, it appeared that he held onto the heel hook well beyond the point that Pierce tapped out and even beyond the point that the referee stepped in to stop the action.

Palhares on Thursday, despite the outcries, said that there was no intent to injure Pierce.

“I never meant to hurt anyone, as a jiu-jitsu fighter I always seek for the submission, but I would never be evil to any athlete,” he wrote on Twitter.

“I always respect the @ufc decisions, but most of most I respect a lot Mike Pierce, so again I never meant to hurt him, just finish the fight.”

That won’t stop UFC president Dana White, who was chief among those critical of Palhares’ actions, from firing him.

“This is the second incident with Palhares where he had the lock and he didn’t let go, finally he let it go, but I’m gonna cut him too,” White told Olbermann host Jeremy Schaap in an interview on ESPN2 on Thursday. “He’s done.”

The first incident that White referred to was when Palhares did the same thing, not immediately releasing the hold, when he finished Tomasz Drwal at UFC 111 in Newark, N.J. Palhares was subsequently suspended for 90 days by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board
http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-releasing-rousimar-palhares-following-controversial-submission-finish-of-mike-pierce

Shocked 

See ya!
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22850

Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 8:23 pm

cheers  should be the new rule. If a ref has to pry you off and multiple taps... GONE
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12610

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 5:46 am

Totally deserved it...
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15324

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 8:01 am

i couldnt be happier Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7959

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 3:39 pm

i agree with the decision. the guy is a hypocrite and is dangerous.

its not even about the ref not being able to pull him off, which is inexcusable. it is about not reacting to your opponents tap. not what martial arts is about, it shows lack of control and mental inferiority. I think the same of punching your opponent when he is clearly out of defenseless. i pay attention to that and a fighter can jump in or out of my favorites list just by having or missing that control.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15324

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 4:49 pm

the commie wrote:
i agree with the decision. the guy is a hypocrite and is dangerous.

its not even about the ref not being able to pull him off, which is inexcusable. it is about not reacting to your opponents tap. not what martial arts is about, it shows lack of control and mental inferiority. I think the same of punching your opponent when he is clearly out of defenseless. i pay attention to that and a fighter can jump in or out of my favorites list just by having or missing that control.

Yeah!!!! The commie is talking to you Dan Henderson and that horrible thing you did to Bisping!!!!
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35192

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 3:01 pm

I agree with the decision as well. He did the same shit against Drwal (or however the hell you spell his name), and now the same shit against Pierce. Not to mention he was a total ass after Marquardt beat his ass on the last card I saw in person.

That being said, I was a little disappointed considering I love his leg locks and thought he may have been able to make a small run at WW, having a pretty good strength advantage.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 am

Hanging on to the hold was bad enough, but he actually re-engaged the hold and cranked it again after the ref jumped in. He should of been suspended as well.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5731

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 9:06 am

Agree with the boot. I believe that Palhares working on his second UFC warning knew better and should have shown a lot more class. The sport is dangerous enough without deliberatly injuring an already defeated opponant. Kinda stinky though when Henderson did a similar thing deliberatly hitting an unconscious Bisping and all Dana did was go "Ooooooo, giggle giggle".

As for being in the same boat as Semtex.... naw. Daley deserved to be more than fired, that was a conscious assault on a guy from behind in a most cowardly fashion.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 1:55 pm

I can't really put Henderson/Bisping in the same category as this.
Was Henderson wrong? Yeah, of course. He knew Bisping was out (if he didn't, he needs to be mentally evaluated), and he took the opportunity to get in another shot before the ref came in and stopped it. But that's the difference here; The ref didn't try and stop Henderson before he got in the extra shot.

Henderson- regardless of how blatant the extra punch was- was still operating within the rules of MMA. You're supposed to keep fighting until the ref stops you. Paul Harris, on the other hand, knowingly and willfully continued to try and injure Pierce after the ref attempted to stop the fight. He kept cranking on the leg for 3 or 4 seconds after the ref tried to stop it, while Hendo got in his extra shot before the ref got there. If he would have pounded on an unconscious Bisping with the ref trying to pull him off for 3 or 4 seconds, then you could compare the two scenarios, IMO.

Hendo is still a dick for doing that, but Paul Harris is on a whole different level for doing what he did.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35192

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 3:02 pm

I agree.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7959

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:57 pm

what henderson did was dangerous; if it is anybody else, i would cross them off my list, but its fucking henderson. ive been his fan since the pride days, its hard to let go of old crushes. i write it off to "everybody makes mistakes" or just plain "im allowed a few hypocrisies"
its the same as with fedor, he is my original best. throughout the years ive ignored his religious idiocy because he is HE.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 6:16 am

I heard a pretty wild interview with Renzo Gracie yesterday on the radio. I love Renzo he tells it like it is and it was REALLY intersting imo anyways.

Renzo said he doesn't think Palhares is trying to hurt anyone. He has spoke to him on many occasions and he is a good kid. When he showed up at the Nog camp he showed up with a toothbrush only, no clothes or anything, knocked on the door and said "i want to be a champion" Renzo then said, he knows there is no malicious intent with Palhares, but he is also a bit dangerous, because he thinks he is slightly mentally ill. Not in a bad way, but borderline dont know the PC word for it these days, but slow. He said Palhares would be more comfortable playing toys and blocks with kindergartners than interacting with adults.

First of all you never get that kind of candid talk in an interview these days and secondly I found his take of Palhares being a innoncent well meaning person, but slow interesting for some reason...
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 1:59 pm

I've actually said that a few times. I've had some doubt on a few occasions about whether this guy is really all there or not. During the fight, it looks like he's trying to maliciously hurt the other fighter as much as possible, but when he gets called out for it, he really seems like he doesn't understand what he did wrong. It adds up. I'll say that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers   Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers Empty

Back to top Go down

Denying the "Submission of the Night" bonus was just the beginning: Paul Harris gets his UFC walking papers
Page 1 of 1