The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  Vote_lcapJones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  Voting_barJones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  Vote_lcapJones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  Voting_barJones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22849

Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  Empty
PostSubject: Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'    Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  Daniel10
Quote :
Jon Jones is certainly a confident champion.

With just days remaining until his title defense at UFC 165 against Alexander Gustafsson, Jones is prepared and ready to win the fight without much worry about the issues that his opponent presents him.

Appearing on the Jim Rome Show on Wednesday, when asked what problems Gustafsson presents to him in the fight, his response was "really nothing." Jones believes his training was on point and the execution will be flawless.

So that turns the conversation to a different talking point—if it's already a foregone conclusion that he beats Gustafsson, who's next?

Well, Jones is looking at a couple of possibilities, but the most likely scenario is the showdown against current top-rated contender, Glover Teixeira. The Brazilian fighter on a long winning streak most recently dispatched of Ryan Bader by knockout at UFC Fight Night 28 to earn the spot as next in line to compete for the title.

If the Teixeira fight doesn't happen, Jones is even open to some superfight possibilities.

"I'm predicting either Glover Teixeira or some interesting superfights for the fans," Jones answered when asked what comes next.

Another name that was brought up to the UFC's reigning light heavyweight champion was former Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix winner Daniel Cormier, who is currently jetting a path down to 205 pounds. He still has to get past Roy Nelson at UFC 166 in October, but following that fight, Cormier is planning on making the move down in weight.

Hi-res-7286284_crop_exact Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
While there have been discussions about Cormier potentially receiving a title shot on Day 1 in the division, Jones was quick to put the breaks on that idea. He doesn't seem to care for Cormier very much and has no desire to give him a title shot at any time, much less at the exact moment he moves to light heavyweight.

"As far as Daniel Cormier, he definitely won't be getting a title fight," Jones said. "I don't think I would accept a fight against him. He's a guy I don't respect at all, and I would definitely make sure he loses the weight, makes 205 and earns himself a title shot."

Jones and Cormier have been verbally sparring back and forth for the better part of the last year. Cormier has since dedicated himself to moving down to light heavyweight with the mission to dethrone Jones from atop his mountain of success.

It doesn't sound as if Jones is buying it, however, and he doesn't plan on giving Cormier anything—he's going to have to earn it.

"At the end of the day, the guy's just a hater," Jones said. "I really have done nothing wrong to the guy to have an issue with him, and every time I turn around he's figuring out a way to have my name in his mouth.

"I just don't respect the guy at all. I think the ultimate way to defeat him is to make him lose all that weight, which is tough work, make him earn a title fight, which is tough work and then at the end of the day walk away with nothing."
continued...

RAGING!  Yet another arrogant statement made by a UFC champ, assuming he has a say in it. We all know how I feel about these situations. If the fight is put in front of you by the UFC, as a Champion, it is your job to accept said fight. No matter what you feel or have to say. Do your fuckin job.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7958

PostSubject: Re: Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'    Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 2:40 pm

ya ya i wont fight this and that. its getting to be annoying. you will fight whomever your demigod Dana will tell you to fight.
also, its funny that without even knowing about their spat, i thought of jones as a arrogant, shallow kids and liked cormier, thinking him to be well spoken, thoughtfull guy. wonder who ill be rooting for.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59443

PostSubject: Re: Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'    Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Quote :
"As far as Daniel Cormier, he definitely won't be getting a title fight," Jones said. "I don't think I would accept a fight against him".
This is the first time I can recall that a champ has flat out said "I won't fight that guy". I'm not talking about implying, or giving an opinion, or voicing a preference. Jones said point-blank "No".
Regardless of how the words of some other recent champions have been spun by some, this is the only instance I have ever seen where the champ quite plainly just refused a fight.

Bitch move.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22849

PostSubject: Re: Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'    Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 3:33 pm

^Yeah, I think you're right about that. Others have stated how they feel, but I actually can't think of a time a champ has flat out said "No".... at least not publicly... wait Jones did once and the entire card was canceled. Granted that was on short notice so there is some leniency there... never the less, this situation proves that he is OK with declining fights, no matter what the  time frame may be.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'    Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Fuck, how did I forget about that? LOL

Yeah, I suppose that situation was a little different. But you're correct; the bad rap he got for that is only further proven to be true when he says shit like this.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12609

PostSubject: Re: Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'    Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 6:37 am

Jones is such a dick.

He and Cormier had a pretty funny war of words going the other day that I heard on the radio and Cormier pretty much hit it on the head.

I am going to paraphrase here, but Jones was pretty much saying that it was a shame that he and Cormier didnt get along, because they were black so they should.  He said that they should stick together.  Jones then went on to say that he and Rashad disliked each other, he and rampage disliked each other, and now he and cormier couldn't stand each other and it shouldn't be this way.

Cormier simply replied "It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what the common denominator in this whole scene is and it isn't skin color."  lol
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'    Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 3:29 pm

^^^
LOL
cheers 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'    Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'  Empty

Back to top Go down

Jones: Cormier 'Definitely Won't Be Getting a Title Fight'
Page 1 of 1