The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? Vote_lcapShould Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? Voting_barShould Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? Vote_lcapShould Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? Voting_barShould Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?

Go down 
+5
norcalmatt
samger2
stock
Chrom
Gecko
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15326

Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? Empty
PostSubject: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 8:37 am

Just wondering what all you guys think about him making it in. The only logic from Dana on the matter was about his fight with griffen and how it helped MMA explode. but does one fight really entitle you to HOF statues? I always enjoyed Bonnars fight and all and i was a fan of his but i have to say i dont think he should make it. i do think griffen deserves a spot due to first TUF winner and first TUF winner to win a title.Plus beating rampage (at that time) and tapping out shogun(at that time) was pretty impressive too.

So Bonnar yeah or nah on being a member of the UFC HOF?
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22852

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 am

Nope. Forrest yeah, he was the first Ultimate Fighter and held the title. But a guy who never reached top 10 and was busted using PEDs... NO.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35194

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:08 am

Not even close with Bonner.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10307

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:31 am

What Chrom and Stock said
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16391

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:13 pm

no...he got busted on ped's.....never made the top 5.....the griffin fight is the only fight of his that stands out to me
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59446

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 3:26 pm

If there was a way to "induct" the Bonnar vs Griffin fight itself into the UFC HOF I would be all for it. Bonnar's claim to fame is that fight, not his fighting career as a whole.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35194

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Let's not even pretend PEDs is an issue.
He's not even close had he been clean every day of his life.

His best win of his career is maybe over Soszysnki or that boring ass fight over Jardine. He's never been in title contention talks. He's never strung more than 3 wins in a row.
The most exciting fight of his entire career was the first UFC fight of his career (and he lost).
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12612

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 7:10 am

stock wrote:

I don't think anyone is arguing that he had a HoF career, I think the question is whether he deserves to be inducted into the HoF based on what he did to help the sport.

My answer is no though. I agree with Trigger, I would induct the Forrest vs Stephan fight into the HoF like baseball does with landmark balls, etc. and I would give Stephan a cushy job in the front office in appreciation, but the HoF needs to be for the elite which he was not even close.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10307

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 9:02 am

Exactly. I don't think a HOF spot should be given to anyone based upon a single fight that may have been pivital for the sport...it should be based upon a fighter's career as a whole.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9485

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 6:26 pm

FistK wrote:

stock wrote:

I don't think anyone is arguing that he had a HoF career, I think the question is whether he deserves to be inducted into the HoF based on what he did to help the sport.

My answer is no though.  I agree with Trigger, I would induct the Forrest vs Stephan fight into the HoF like baseball does with landmark balls, etc. and I would give Stephan a cushy job in the front office in appreciation, but the HoF needs to be for the elite which he was not even close.

^^^

Bonnar is to the UFC's 3rd generation the way someone like Keith Hackney is to the UFC's 1st generation. 1st being NHB, 2nd being sanctioned, 3rd being post TUF1 but I digress. Yes he was there in the early days and put on some entertaining fights, but an all time great he is not. No to the HOF, but yes on an honorable mention in the context of the first Griffin fight.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3785

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 10:12 pm

Nah, because even though I always liked him, he was never a champion or title challenger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?   Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should Stephen Bonnar be inducted into UFC HOF?
Page 1 of 1