The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' Vote_lcapUFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' Voting_barUFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' Vote_lcapUFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' Voting_barUFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'

Go down 
+3
Grey Suit
stock
Chrom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' Empty
PostSubject: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 11:51 am

UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' Ufcpos10
Quote :
On a primetime Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) card kicked off by two upsets, and the Octagon arrival of Daniel Cormier, Ben Henderson retained his Lightweight title by the slimmest of margins over the game Gilbert Melendez Saturday night (April 20, 2013) at HP Pavilion in San Jose, California.

With a split decision of 48-47 across the cards, Henderson notched his third 155-pound title defense in a bout that was closely contested throughout.

Headlining the high-profile UFC on Fox 7 mixed martial arts (MMA) event inside the "Shark Tank," Henderson used small, but ultimately crucial, advantages in his kicking game, as well as the ability to score in a handful of crowd-rousing exchanges.

Neither man was significantly hurt or rocked, and virtually all of the bout was spent on the feet.

In the co-main event of the evening, Cormier’s debut in the promotion came at the expense of Frank Mir, dominating the former Heavyweight champion via a unanimous sweep (30-27) on the judges scorecards.

Let's take a closer look at UFC on Fox 7 and see how the competitors graded out with our latest "Report Card:"

Josh Thomson: A

With a brilliant gameplan that combined his tactical smarts and athleticism, Thomson delivered the best performance on the card, using movement, kicking and quick thinking to constantly keep Diaz off-guard. It was a redemptive return to the Octagon eight years removed from his last appearance, when Thomson was dispatched by a brutal Yves Edward head kick.

Thomson’s ability to extricate himself from bad positions was critical last night. He simply refused to linger in the clinch, or stop moving, which took away two of Diaz’s critical weapons. He also didn’t get sucked into the trap of trading with Diaz, who’ll take one to give one, exploiting Diaz’s weak kick defense and lack of a kicking game to pile up points, setting up Diaz for an epic shin to the head that showed that even Diaz’s outstanding chin has its limits.

"The Punk" stepped into the Octagon as a dim memory of the UFC’s earlier days. He came out of it a legit contender in the promotion’s deepest division, having done something that an impressive cadre of talented guys couldn’t:

He stopped a Diaz.

No cuts, no controversy, no bullshit. That is one hell of a feat.

Matt Brown: A

Gritty, determined and entirely without fear, Brown jumped right on Jordan Mein and delivered a brutal second-round knockout against the favored Canadian, notching the biggest win of his career, and his fifth in a row in the UFC.

It wasn’t like he didn’t take some shots – he did – but Brown’s constant pressure and willingness to let them fly is a kind of taxing element in itself. You’re always retreating because the guy never stops unloading. Throw in a nice triangle-armbar submission attempt by Brown off his back, and we’re looking at a fighter that has dramatically improved in recent years.

Brown figures to be most exciting against guys that will trade with him, and who wouldn’t want to see him throw bombs with the likes of fellow welterweight sluggers Robbie Lawler or Erick Silva?

Ben Henderson: A-

For a guy who has won his first seven UFC bouts by decision, Henderson is probably the most exciting decision artist in the sport. And it’s not like he isn’t trying to punish people, either. His thudding leg kicks are a wondrous thing to see, and hear, and his incredible quickness was on display as he managed to beat Melendez in a couple of key scrambles to possibly sway the judges his way.

Henderson executed a pretty solid gameplan last night, seemingly knowing his kicks would pile up points and influence the judges. However, he nearly squandered it in the fifth, letting Melendez score more as he mostly retreated through the first half of the round.

Smartly, Henderson realized he would have a tough time taking the spry Melendez down, but also that Melendez couldn’t take him down, either, even when catching his kicks – so Henderson simply kept driving them home. This was a very close win that, unrightfully so, was booed by the fans, though that’s expectable because of the hometown Bay Area crowd obviously in Melendez’ favor. Henderson has proven extremely tough to beat, and a rematch would be a solid proposition.

Both would make adjustments off of tonight, and fans would no doubt want to see it.

Gilbert Melendez: B+

The former Strikeforce champ was solid last night, using excellent counter-wrestling to negate Henderson’s occasional takedown attempts, and catching several of the champ’s kicks. Melendez, however, couldn’t quite muster enough consistent offense, especially with his hands, and that may have been the difference, especially in rounds two through four, during which Henderson seemed busier and more diverse in his approach on the feet.

Melendez came on strong in the fifth, as Henderson seemed to feel he had it in the bag, and the duo made for some great exchanges and dizzying scrambles down the stretch, neither able to establish the takedown nor a dominant series of strikes.

Last night was a great introduction for Melendez to the biggest audience of his career. He came up short by a mere point, and definitely figures to be back in the title mix soon. What’s great is with the depth of the lightweight division, there are compelling matches to be made with "El Nino." Last night, he and Henderson’s mutual athleticism, speed and resilience sort of canceled one another out, but it’s testimony to how good Melendez is that he came so close to lifting the champion’s belt.

Daniel Cormier: B+

A good fighter knows how to apply his advantages, and Cormier is proving a past master at that. Smothering Mir against the cage, and using good defense when in standing range in the center of the cage, Cormier negated Mir’s best weapons in driving home a punishing effort last night, albeit without the stoppage he obviously wanted.

Cormier’s UFC debut comes at a curious time, as training mate and good buddy Cain Velasquez holds the heavyweight strap, and Cormier’s made noise about dropping down to 205 pounds to tackle Jon Jones. Assuming he could get there – and I’m not entirely sure he could without some considerable trouble – he’d pose some real problems for the Light Heavyweight champ, especially as he continues to improve.

It’s scary when you realize Mir had 22 pounds on Cormier, and was completely manhandled in the clinch. Cormier’s performance against Josh Barnett was similarly impressive – he simply grabs people and they can’t do a damned thing, despite being bigger and far more experienced.

Cormier’s also short at 5’11 for a Heavyweight, which will make for some interesting tactical problems as he faces a better class of opponent, particularly the big hitters. But, for now, he’s a wonder to watch he as dictates where the fight goes, stringing together sequences with a competence impressively developed for a guy with a mere 11 fights.

Jordan Mein: C-

Mein fought a real wildcat in Brown last night, showing some first-round resilience, absorbing a frightful thumping as "The Immortal" came out aggressive and forcing confrontations. Expectedly, Mein found his rhythm after Brown’s initial blitz, landing some solid counter shots.

And near the end of the round, Mein drilled home a gorgeous one-two combination to the head, followed by a brilliantly placed left hook to the liver that would’ve made Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. blush. It crumpled Brown, who was in terrible pain, but managed to gut out the rest of the round.

In the second, however, Mein got sucked back into Brown’s brawling style and got caught, hard, with a right hand that set up the finishing sequence. Mein never really switched gears and went to takedowns to perhaps blunt some of Brown’s standup aggression, hoping to lay back and pick him off with counters. Instead, he was overwhelmed, getting the first loss of his UFC career.

Mien is a talented, experienced young fighter and he’ll definitely have some lessons drawn from tonight. Mainly, to not let the other guy fight his fight, especially one like Brown, whose pure intensity and aggression make up for a lot of technical holes in his game.

Frank Mir: D

Last night wasn’t one of those blowout knockout losses Mir has suffered in the past, where a Brandon Vera or Shane Carwin makes him look like a steppingstone in an epic display of violence ending in a highlight-reel vignette. To his credit, Mir hung tough as Cormier plastered him with constant pressure, from dominating him in the clinches to drilling him with quick, thudding shots in close as Mir was endlessly pasted against the cage.

In the center of the Octagon, Mir had some openings and used them to good effect in spots, landing nice body kicks a few times, only to get pushed on the cage and plastered again. In the third, stepping up the pressure, he was looking good on the feet initially and then inexplicably tied up with Cormier in one sequence – when he could have simply circled back to the center and kept working – and that pretty much scuttled any momentum he had as Cormier continued to light him up with in-close clinch work and dirty boxing.

Cormier’s going to make a lot of heavyweights look listless and a step behind, but Mir didn’t do himself any favors tonight, and didn’t seem to have a plan B in case he wouldn’t be able to match Cormier standing. Unable to remotely position himself to where he could pull guard, he never really seemed to get untracked offensively on the feet for more than the brief sequences where he could land body kicks.

Nate Diaz: D
continued...
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 12:01 pm

I would have to give Gilbert an A. He took on the reigning UFC title holder and arguably won. I personally thought he won the fight. I knew it was close and that it could go either way though.

I would give Bendo a B+ or A-. He looked a little flat out there to me. But it was enough to get the W so hey... who am I to argue

Thompson gets an A. I think Thompson is a contender right now. He will likely have one more before he gets a shot. But I think we will see him in a title fight with in a year.

What did you guys think?
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35201

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Outstanding night of fights.
I didn't really have an opinion about the outcome of the title fight. Draw, imo.
I guess Bendo probably came the closest to finishing it (maybe) at the end of the 2nd (or was it 3rd) round when he was in side mount dropping elbows and punches when time ran out.
But I don't know, neither fighter really took over at any point.
Mir was never really in that fight. Cormier was just able to hold him against the fence and constantly touch Mir with dirty boxing. Mir wasted too many opportunities on the breaks (he was given too many by the ref, imo). Maybe he was gassed, but he looked like he just coasted to a decision loss. No urgency at all in the 3rd round.

All the other fights were pretty much fantastic, although I though Larkin got absolutely robbed. I had Larking 30-27. Prime example of giving way too much credit for a takedown even if Larkin was only on his back for 3 seconds or regardless if Carmont could do anything with the takedowns.

If a diaz brother is going to lose, I want it to be that way.... so there is no argument whatsoever. Thomson pushed the pace and got the ref stoppage as the towel was in mid-air. You don't see that anymore in MMA.

I just love Matt fucking Brown. He is NEVER in a boring fight. Mein is a nasty dude, but Brown just kept coming no matter how many times he got smashed in the face.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 7:34 pm

So it's been announced that the winner of Maynard/Grant will have the next shot at the title... I don't know about that decision.
Gray has won 1 fight since 2010 FFS! ONE WIN IN NEARLY 2.5 YEARS!?? If he gets another win, he's in like sin? WTF?
I can see the argument being made for Grant due to the streak. But it's not a list of who's who.
I think the UFC would have been wise using this free Fox card to build the Champion vs Champion rematch for a PPV. While all this is happening, Josh Thompson would fight the winner of Maynard/Grant giving us a solid #1 contender.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 am

I'd like to see Pettis/Grant and Maynard/Thomson.
Whoever wins more conviningly gets the next title shot.

Although, I guess since Maynard/Grant is already coming up soon, might as well just make that happen. I really hope Maynard gets smoked.
Back to top Go down
Grey Suit
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grey Suit

Standard Cash : 31187

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Pettis is by far the most deserving IMO and would be the best fight from a hype standpoint.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 2:45 am

Yeah, the time is now for Pettis to get his shot.

Is anyone really stoked to see Maynard or Grant fight Bendo?
Now ask yourself if anyone is stoked to see Pettis fight Bendo.

It's an easy decision to make, IMO. I don't love Maynard/Grant vs Bendo at all.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 9:07 am

Will be interesting to see what happens if Pettis loses to Aldo.
Maybe let him fight Thomson for the next title shot??
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 11:04 am

Yeah I thought Pettis was moving down and fighting Aldo?
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Yeah, he is. But he'll be back. I get the impression that this was just an opportunity he couldn't pass up.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 8:16 am

Triggerman99 wrote:
Yeah, he is. But he'll be back. I get the impression that this was just an opportunity he couldn't pass up.

Well if Pettis is moving back up to fight Bendo that would mean that he lost to Aldo so who knows. I agree with you though, I would love to see him fight bendo again and if he beats Aldo I would LOVE to see Aldo move up and fight Bendo then.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Yeah I'm assuming Aldo beats Pettis. That may be a mistake on my part, but I don't see Pettis beating him.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7968

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 8:38 pm

just my two kopeoki,

melendez won in an non-title fight. but because henderson is a champ and he was not dominated, he won.
cormier gassed. i was disappointed but still hold high hopes for him, i like the guy, seems like an intelligent one. mir sucks lol. his stand up is hopeless. it will never be smooth, fluid and instinctual.
finally somebody tko'd one of the diaz's. maybe now they will work on their strength and gameplan.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 am

I actually thought Cormier fought better than people give him credit for. He didn't finish Mir, but he did pretty much own him. Yeah it was a bit Randy Coutureish, but I still thought he fought well. He was ripping him to the body nice and pretty much manhandling a man MUCH larger than him.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10314

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:40 am

I've never been a fan of Mir. I know he went against the odds back in the day before his motorcycle accident and was beating big brawlers like Tank Abbott...but he's only impressed me one time since his comeback...one time...and that was against Nog in their first fight when he looked fantastic striking. Since then he's become a 100% one trick pony. Don't let him get ahold of an arm on the ground, but other than that you can fully dominate him at will.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:45 am

Well I wont get into a debate on Mir, because I can definitely see where you are coming from. I actually like Frank, because I give him credit for continually trying to reinvent himself at his age. He's a bit of a tweener unfortunately imo even though he does weigh 265, I just dont think he has the strength of others his size as he doesnt have to cut to make the weight, but he can't make LHW either.

But, my point was Cormier is most likely going to be moving to LHW because he is a small guy. But, he completely rag dolled a man much larger than him and a former UFC HW champion...
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10314

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:13 am

Yeah I can absolutely give him credit for his tenacity and not giving up. A++ for effort on that one. And he had a decent run once he came back when he beat Lesnar.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Only thing holding Cormier back from LHW as I understand it is his past kidney failure. He wants to make the cut safe and healthy.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:36 pm

It just doesn't seem like he would be in any danger of not safely making the weight to me. I mean, he has a lot of excess weight around his midsection. If anything, I think it would be a healthy life choice for him to drop the weight.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Right. I think if he takes the time to reduce his weight, rather than just cutting it. He should be fine. I mean... I'm no doctor or anything, but it just seems logical.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'   UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez' Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC on FOX 7 results: 'Report card' for 'Henderson vs Melendez'
Page 1 of 1