The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Vote_lcapIn the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Voting_barIn the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Vote_lcapIn the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Voting_barIn the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*

Go down 
+2
Triggerman99
9Teen_AT4
6 posters
AuthorMessage
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7712

In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Empty
PostSubject: In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*   In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:02 pm

In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Jake-shields_large

Jake Shields wrote:
"I'm already back in the gym trying to get better. I'm pushing my standup and every element of my game to become the best fighter I can possibly be. I'm hungry and I want to go out there and take somebody out. My striking still has holes, but it has gotten a lot better. I am going to continue to work and develop my skills and I believe in the next year I'll be able to stand with the best strikers out there. I still have a little ways to go, but we have definitely made big improvements. I came so close to the title and fell short. Now I feel like I'm close again. I've beaten the current (interim) champion, Carlos Condit, and Martin Kampmann, who is a top contender right now. I know I can beat these guys, and it all depends on me working my way back up and getting my shot. I'm not sure what's next, but hopefully the UFC will give me a contender so I can get back up where I want to be."

Quote :
Former UFC welterweight number one contender Jake Shields, who got back into the win column against Yoshihiro Akiyama at last month's UFC 144 pay-per-view (PPV) event in Japan, is hungry to get back to the top of the 170-pound mountain, a place he's familiar with after gong five rounds at UFC 129 in a losing effort against Georges St. Pierre. Shields, who was pasted by Jake Ellenberger in September 2011, has long been criticized for his level of stand-up, but tells Heavy.com it has improved dramatically, to the point where he'll be able to stand and bang with the best strikers in the division over the next 12 months. Anyone out there think he's overstating his skill set? Or does he have the right trainers (and determination) to accomplish his goal?

Ze Sauze

IMO ... it really depends who Jake is training with and how often.... Such a bold statement from a terrible striker to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59450

In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*   In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 pm

Hey, I can stand with the best strikers out there, too. I wouldn't be able to do it for more than a few seconds, but I could still do it.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22856

PostSubject: Re: In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*   In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Yeah... I'll believe it when I see it.
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4013

PostSubject: Re: In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*   In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 3:00 pm

He better stop training his standup with this guy then

In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Pillow_hands
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10258

PostSubject: Re: In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*   In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:23 pm

if jake shields had good stand up he would be the best fighter in the world.
yes in the world.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59450

PostSubject: Re: In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*   In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:35 pm

That is a fucking gigantic "IF".
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*   In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:42 pm

no question that is a gigantic if but they do have the right coaches to develop him into a premium striker..

its almost weird that his stand up is so sub par considering he trains with

nick, nate, and gilbert.... plus andre ward has trained at gracies facility several times.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5737

PostSubject: Re: In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*   In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .... heh heh heh heh .... oooooo ha ha ha ha ha heh ... heh .. ha ... oooo heh!
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*   In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 am

and i almost forgot richard perez... his training for boxing is amazing.... hes not the best corner man to have but his talent at developing boxing skills is amazing.

i hope jake devotes all of his time to boxing and we see him face off against maia in the fall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*   In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf* Empty

Back to top Go down

In the next year, Jake Shields will be able to stand with the best strikers out there...*wtf*
Page 1 of 1