The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson Vote_lcapDana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson Voting_barDana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson Vote_lcapDana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson Voting_barDana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson

Go down 
+5
butterknifeninja
Krieger
norcalmatt
Chrom
Triggerman99
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59454

Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson Empty
PostSubject: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson 20091110
Quote :
If the words of UFC president Dana White are any indication, it doesn’t appear that former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar is going to get an immediate rematch against new titleholder Benson Henderson.

He could, if he’s willing, however, get an immediate title shot.

“I have a lot of mixed feelings about a rematch. Frankie Edgar absolutely deserves one, seeing as how every fight this guy has fought, he’s given everybody else a rematch,” said White at the UFC on FX 2 pre-fight press conference.

“Yet, I don’t want him to fight at 155 pounds. I want him to go to 145 and fight for that title.”

As of Sunday, however, fresh off the loss of a fight that he felt he won, Edgar wasn’t anywhere near ready to consider a drop down to the featherweight division.

“Frankie deserves a rematch,” Edgar’s manager, Ali Abdel-Aziz, told MMAWeekly.com after talking with his client on Sunday. “We’re going to ask for a rematch.

“Frankie in the future will go down to 145, but he’s not going to go down now, he’s not. He’s not getting manhandled. He’s not getting destroyed. He won the fight.”

Though he’s not getting manhandled, White points to all the wars that Edgar has gone through recently at 155 pounds. It’s difficult for a fighter to have a prolonged career when he has the back-and-forth, physically taxing battles that Edgar has had at lightweight, according to the UFC president.

Edgar has a tremendous heart, however, and that tremendous heart is a big part of why he is reluctant to step down in weight.

“Frankie’s not the type of guy to lose and then just cower and move to 145,” commented Abdel-Aziz. “This kid has so much heart and determination.”

He may have to employ that heart and determination outside the Octagon if he wants to remain fighting at 155 pounds in the UFC. White is adamant about the move, and is more than willing to dangle the title shot. In fact, White sees it not just as dangling a title shot, but as the right thing to do by Edgar.

“If I’m gonna deny him the rematch for the 155-pound title,” he said. “I’m gonna make him move to 145 and say, ‘Yeah, you’re gonna have to fight a couple fights first to get the title.’ Does that sound right? No.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/frankie-edgar-can-get-immediate-title-shot-but-not-likely-against-benson-henderson

This seems to me like a shitty thing to do to him. If he has earned the right to a rematch, then give it to him. Don't make him move down just because you want him to. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22860

Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Yeah, shit... give him the rematch. If he loses, he can move down. If not then you got the chance for an epic title fight trilogy!
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22860

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 7:51 pm

oh and I added a giant ass picture of Dana to the thread...
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:49 pm

http://www.mmaweekly.com/frankie-edgar-doesnt-want-jose-aldo-he-still-wants-henderson-rematch

Here's a little more info. Not sure this justifies it's own thread, since it ties in to the topic here.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16399

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 9:05 pm

i dont see how anybody can think edgar won, not even himself......bendo looked as fresh at the end of the fight as he did when he stepped in.....edgar wasnt able to keep bendo on the mat for ant length of time and when henderson was on his back he nailed frankie with that devastating up kick.....how on earth can frankie think he won that fight??????????
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:22 pm

I don't think he won the fight, but I think it was close enough that he should get another shot. And as mentioned before, he has been very cooperative about giving other fighters rematches for his belt, so I think it's only fair the favor be returned if that's what he wants.

I would probably think differently if he got completely dominated, but that's not the case.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16399

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 pm

^^^i agree 100%.....i was talking about him and his camp

“Frankie in the future will go down to 145, but he’s not going to go down now, he’s not. He’s not getting manhandled. He’s not getting destroyed. He won the fight.”
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5741

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Meh I really dont wanna see Edgar Henderson again but he has been most accomodating for rematches. I really think they gotta stop this instand rematch thing. Go back down the ladder a few rungs and climb back up again.
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4017

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Krieger wrote:
Meh I really dont wanna see Edgar Henderson again but he has been most accomodating for rematches. I really think they gotta stop this instand rematch thing. Go back down the ladder a few rungs and climb back up again.

Indeed. All I want is to see 1 frigging title get consistently defended against different competition. There's too much BS with the rematches, injury delays, TV shows, etc. Just frigging get in there and fight FFS...
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35202

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 8:40 am

100% agree. Even active UFC guys only fight about 3 times a year. It sucks will the other great matches out there that there has to be so many rematches.
We've seen Edgar/Henderson already.
Make him fight a couple other guys, and if Henderson is still the champ, then give him his rematch then.
Actually think Dana is being pretty generous offering him an immediate title at 145... which I don't really agree with either. I think he should get at least one warmup fight at a new weight class before throwing him to Aldo.
Back to top Go down
Grey Suit
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grey Suit

Standard Cash : 31188

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 8:54 am

Meh... I'm sick of instant rematches. I know Frankie had back to back rematches as champ but it's not like they were not warranted. I thought BJclearly won their first fight and he tied with Maynard what else are going to do?
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 9:30 am

Grey just shows up once a month to say he is sick of instant rematches and thinks the scoring needs to be changed away from 10pt must haha.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 2:13 am

Grey Suit wrote:
Meh... I'm sick of instant rematches. I know Frankie had back to back rematches as champ but it's not like they were not warranted. I thought BJclearly won their first fight and he tied with Maynard what else are going to do?

I agree with you premise about the amount of instant rematches, but I disagree that BJ clearly won the first fight.

Aside from the idea that you have to beat the champ to be the champ (we all know what that means), Edgar was at the very least a split-decision winner.

But whatever, I'm sick of the rematches as well. But if there ever is a reason for one more and only one more, this is it.

Fans want to see what they want to see, but Edgar absolutely desrves this one, if for no other reason than an IOU from Dana.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3793

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Rematches don't bug me as long as there warranted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson   Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson Empty

Back to top Go down

Dana White: Edgar can have immediate title shot, but probably not against Henderson
Page 1 of 1