The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw Vote_lcapBas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw Voting_barBas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw Vote_lcapBas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw Voting_barBas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw Empty
PostSubject: Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw   Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw 2310
Quote :

It's almost an unwritten law of MMA, that when Bas Rutten talks, you have to listen. If its something your hearing online, you listen because Rutten is one of the most knowledgable MMA personalities in the world. If you have the pleasure of listening to him in person, then you listen because, if you choose to ignore him, you could well be on the recieving end of his patented liver punch.

Now that's out the way, it's time to read what Rutten has to say about Dutch MMA's finest export, Alistair Overeem. In an interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time!” show with Bruce Buffer, the always colourful former fighter had some suprising news for those of you backing Overeem to score the win over UFC heavyweight champion, Junior dos Santos:

Rutten on telling Overeem’s camp which opponents could make for difficult matchups: “I always told them … make sure to avoid Junior dos Santos. I think him and Cain Velasquez, although with Cain, he cannot take a punch too great. But still, Cain is a monster and he should have simply shot in on Junior dos Santos, I think. I actually thought he was going to win that fight, but he didn’t. He got tagged, and that can happen to anybody. Anyway, I always said try to stay away as long as you can from Junior dos Santos. That right now could be a very big threat together, believe it or not, with Cheick Kongo. I think that would also be a great opponent for him.”

His opinion on how Overeem matches up with dos Santos: “I think Alistair, everything he does is one single shot because he knows he’s got that glass jaw as well. He’s been knocked out quite a few times in the past, even by Chuck Liddell as well. Every time when he punches, one hand is up. He throws single shots; he doesn’t throw combinations. You saw that when he fought Fabricio Werdum. Werdum was actually tagging him more than he did to Werdum. I think that Junior dos Santos, with his combinations, his reach, I think he’s going to tag him and he’s going to throw combos and I think that yeah, he’s going to take this fight.”

Alistair Overeem earned his shot at the UFC title by scoring a first round knockout over Brock Lesnar at UFC 141, sending Lesnar into retirement in the process.
source
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5740

PostSubject: Re: Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw   Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Meh... Bas has an opinion it only counts if you give him cred. At the end of the day we'll see. I dont think its entirely accurate to say Overeem has a "glass jaw".

Its been what 12 years since Bas was in the ring? Most of that was in Pancrase. Sure he has been around for awhile but so have MANY other folks with an opinion. I'm not a fan of his observations and nor do I think his opinion is more credible than others. Really I respect the opinions of guys on this site more, UFC color guys, various writers, Joe or Dana hell at least Sonnen is actively in the game.

I think Bas is a guy who fought in a different sport years and years ago who has turned into a wonderful salesman who is simply selling his version of the "Bas Ruttan Grill" every time he opens his mouth.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw   Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:00 am

Krieger wrote:
Meh... Bas has an opinion it only counts if you give him cred. At the end of the day we'll see. I dont think its entirely accurate to say Overeem has a "glass jaw".

Its been what 12 years since Bas was in the ring? Most of that was in Pancrase. Sure he has been around for awhile but so have MANY other folks with an opinion. I'm not a fan of his observations and nor do I think his opinion is more credible than others. Really I respect the opinions of guys on this site more, UFC color guys, various writers, Joe or Dana hell at least Sonnen is actively in the game.

I think Bas is a guy who fought in a different sport years and years ago who has turned into a wonderful salesman who is simply selling his version of the "Bas Ruttan Grill" every time he opens his mouth.

how is that by the way? i Hear it locks in the flavor with none of the fat?
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw   Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:42 am

I just thought of a new product for Bas, "Bas Rutten's Liver Shots"
Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw Rum20j10
Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw Liver_10
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5932

PostSubject: Re: Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw   Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:24 am

There is definitely better terminology to use in respect of a great fighter, glass jaw is a bit of a overstatement; there are many fighters who have been KO'd who are not know for having a glass jaw.

It Bas just carrying over his bias about the whole Golden Glory thing and Allistair leaving there for Extreme Couture or whatever.

I respect Bas for his role in MMA, but this is a little much; I think he is right as Reem has been KO'd before and all the fighters mentioned pose threats to reem in the KO department.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw   Bas Rutten: Alistair Overeem Has a Glass Jaw Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1