The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President Vote_lcapAmerica: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President Voting_barAmerica: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President Vote_lcapAmerica: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President Voting_barAmerica: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President

Go down 
+2
DEP
Chrom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President Empty
PostSubject: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 10:22 am

America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President Chris-10
Quote :
Plus-size New Jersey Governor Chris Christie announced today that he will not run for president in 2012, and thus he will be spared the slander and weight jokes that surely would have accompanied more time in the national political limelight.

Of course, the governor, who for reasons of personal sanity has not publicly disclosed his weight, didn’t put it in exactly those words. He just said he won’t run because he loves being governor of New Jersey.

The governor's withdrawal from the race does raise a question of whether Americans would elect a plus-size president. Rumors of a Christie candidacy in the past few weeks have been accompanied by a barrage of media coverage either stigmatizing the governor for his size or questioning whether an obese candidate is healthy enough to serve as a U.S. president.

“He’s just too fat” to be president,” opined Michael Kinsley of Bloomberg News, who added that Christie should get his appetite “under control” before making a run.

“Elected officials perform best when they are in optimal health,” wrote the Washington Post’s Eugene Robinson. “Christie obviously is not.” He urged Christie to show leadership on obesity by losing weight: “Eat a salad and take a walk.”

“The stigma of obesity” would be an even bigger problem “than any health issues caused by Christie's weight,” concluded Reuters’ Bill Berkrot.

Late Show Host David Letterman saw a Christie candidacy as a boon for, well, late-night TV: "You talk about tons of fun," he joked. Alluding to Christie’s size, he said, “ Take a look. . . . Go to Google Earth.”

Yikes. Get your appetite under control? Eat a salad and take a walk? You’re so fat you need to be viewed on Google Earth? These comments even make me feel bad. They make me think: Man, fat prejudice is a whole lot worse than I thought. Is this the sort of thing people think about me? That all I need is a little more self-control?

If only it were that easy. If I were Christie, I’d say that such jibes make the price of running for office too high to pay.

To be fair, let’s admit that a presidential run, not to mention a term in office, would probably take a toll on Christie’s weight and health. William Howard Taft, a U.S. president of Christie-esque proportions, weighed close to 300 pounds when he took office in 1908; it had soared to nearly 350 pounds by the time he left office four years later. That would have given him a score of 41 on the Body Mass Index—a full 11 points over the 30 needed to be classified as obese.

Doctors considering the ample health records and contemporary accounts on Taft note that he had several health problems related to obesity. His systolic blood pressure was a scary 210 (anything over 130 is risky). Taft also suffered from gall stones and such severe sleep apnea and fatigue that he frequently fell asleep during important meetings.

This past summer Christie was hospitalized for asthma, another breathing condition, which, like apnea, is worsened by obesity.

However, are these health problems any worse than those suffered by former Vice President Dick Cheney, who suffered several mild heart attacks while in office, or 2008 Republican candidate John McCain, then age 70, who survived a bout with cancer? I would say not.

Furthermore, if Christie were elected president, it’s safe to predict that he’d receive the same top-of-the-line weight care as the famously weight-challenged Oprah Winfrey, whose health, meals, and workouts are supervised by doctors, a personal trainer, and a personal dietitian.

I asked my weight-conscious Facebook followers whether they thought the Christie weight debate represented weight stigma or a well-founded concern about the health needed to be president. They all said “stigma.”

“Why is OK for the current president to be a smoker, but it's not OK for a potential president to be overweight?” writes Twylla-Dawn Davis. “That's not fair.”

“Weight should not be an issue nor a concern in a political race,” adds Judi Taylor.

“It’s definitely a stigma,” says Joyce Vander Knijff. “A fat person is as capable of being president as much as a thin one.”

“Stigma!” declares Anne Mayer Welch. “Cheney's heart almost crapped out on him several times while he was in office. No one told Taft he was too fat to be president, but people seemed to be a lot nicer back then.”

What's your opinion? Weigh in on Facebook.

The Obesity Society, a medical group, puts it even more strongly. “A person's body weight provides no indication of an individual's character, credentials, talents, leadership, or contributions to society,” the group wrote in a statement. “To suggest that Governor Christie's body weight discounts and discredits his ability to be an effective political candidate is inappropriate, unjust, and wrong.”

I think I’ve been in denial. Weight stigma wields a lot more power than I have wanted to admit.
source

So what do you guys think? Does a fit president make a better president?
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9490

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 12:32 pm

I wouldn't vote for him and I don't give half a poop about his blubber. But, presentation is key, which is why I think Romney will end up getting the nod. He's too slick.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Ok so lets say, there is an ideal DEP suited candidate, but he's fat... would that matter?
Was this sort of shit even an issue Pre-TV?
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4014

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Chrom wrote:

Was this sort of shit even an issue Pre-TV?

William Taft says no
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:45 pm

No, it wouldn't matter in the slightest. I'd make fun of him, but he'd still get my vote. But, there is a line to be drawn there. 350lbs is fine if you're 6'3. But don't tell me about personal responsibility if you're on a rascal because your GUNT keeps you from walking.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Also, I highly doubt that an "ideal DEP candidate" would get anywhere near a nomination in this political climate. The media would slay the guy.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10312

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:25 pm

It's such a shame that a guy doesn't have a chance because he's fat. K...time to start a political war here....but Obama got voted in for 2 reasons...1) He's black...2) He's NOT George Bush. Neither of those two things have anything to do with competency to run a country.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59451

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:31 pm

This sounds like an excuse to me. I'm not one to get into political debates, but I am one to point out when people make BS excuses.

This has nothing to do with politics. Thus guys followers are using his obesity as an excuse for him not running. He chose not to run, and now instead of accepting it, his people are claiming discrimination by the big, bad, not-fat majority.
So late-night talk show hosts and opposing-party TV personalities made fun of the guy because he's fat? Oh, wow! Like those people have never personally attacked anybody before and sensationalized their respective faults?
Yeah, this is probably a first. Gimme a break....

Instead of trying to drum up pity and make yourselves and and Christie some kind of victim here, why don't you just respect the guy's wishes to not run and move on with your life.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:44 pm

samger2 wrote:
It's such a shame that a guy doesn't have a chance because he's fat. K...time to start a political war here....but Obama got voted in for 2 reasons...1) He's black...2) He's NOT George Bush. Neither of those two things have anything to do with competency to run a country.

This. And he's got either a complicit media or a terrified media on his side. They're either scared of the fallout from his administration that will come from criticizing him, or terrified of the finger pointing that will come from the masses if they criticize him. They give him a pass on just about everything and line up in droves to chop down anyone who isn't Obama. So they're complicit by choice or complicit by default.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:57 pm

BIG COUNTRY FOR PRESIDENT!

America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President Roy_Nelson
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Besides .... do you guys even know how hard it is for a fat guy to run?

Heh sometimes I'm so darn funny I pee myself.... lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President   America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President Empty

Back to top Go down

America: Not Ready for a Plus-Size President
Page 1 of 1