The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator Vote_lcapTamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator Voting_barTamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator Vote_lcapTamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator Voting_barTamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10261

Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator Empty
PostSubject: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Six years after his last Octagon appearance, Tamdan McCrory is once again a UFC fighter. The cult figure inked a deal to return to the eight-sided cage earlier this week, parlaying his dazzling second life with Bellator into another chance with the promotion he once called home. But while the decision to split with Bellator ended up working in McCrory's favor, it wasn't exactly expected.

"I could say a lot of things about Bellator," McCrory told MMAFighting.com. "I can't knock them too bad because they definitely gave me a platform that I didn't have otherwise. I mean, they gave me a shot. But I think I was brought in to be the victim, and then when things went the way they did, I think they were like, ‘oh crap, what do we do with this guy now?' I don't know if I played into their narrative."

According to McCrory, the move to the UFC is the result of a lengthy and ultimately unresolvable contract standoff with Bellator officials, one which began in February after McCrory cruised to a 66-second victory over Jason Butcher. The win was McCrory's second in Bellator, and completed a stunning career turnaround that few saw coming in 2014 when the promotion snapped McCrory up from a five-year hiatus and signed him to a one-year, three-fight deal.

McCrory said that after the Butcher fight, Bellator officials approached him about fighting for the promotion's vacant middleweight title, but since he only had one fight remaining on his contract, the first priority was nailing down a new deal. And there didn't seem to be any urgency to do that.

"What aggravated me is that it took five months before we even got down to the nitty-gritty and actually were like, okay, let's make a deal come together," McCrory said. "There was always just talk. There was a talk here and a talk there.

"Then they came at us and said, we'll give you the title shot, but we're only going to pay you just horrible money. And I was like, dudes, I'm not going to take that money. You guys know that's not even close."

McCrory declined to elaborate on specifics, but described the offer as an "all-or-nothing deal," with escalators on the back-end that would take effect if he won the middleweight title, but would also reduce his purse to a much smaller sum if he failed in that effort. Such clauses are not uncommon in mixed martial arts, but after trading a few unsuccessful counteroffers and growing frustrated by the process, McCrory ultimately asked for and was given his release.

"Even if they were to come at me with a deal, by that point I was like, dude, I've been dicked around for so long for whatever," McCrory said. "Are these really the people who have my best interests (at heart), in building me and my brand? I had to ask myself, what is going on, man?

"It boggled my mind. I mean, to this day, I still think it was a dream. I was shocked. I'm literally like, did this really happen? Like, did I sleep through the past six weeks? What happened?"

The way the situation played out still surprises McCrory considering Bellator's demand for name fighters. McCrory may not be the most popular middleweight, but his is a face many longtime MMA fans remember from his barn storming days in the UFC. McCrory was assumed to be retired after spending five years away from the sport, but in reality those five years were spent trying to get his life back to a place where it could support professional fighting.

Once he finally did so, he announced his return by utterly crushing Brennan Ward with a spectacular 21-second knockout just months after Ward challenged for the Bellator middleweight title, yet McCrory's next fight ended up on the online-only prelims, while Ward secured a Spike TV slot on the very same card.

"My personal opinion is that they didn't know how to use me," McCrory said. "I thought they would say, ‘hey, this dude took five years off, he comes back and basically puts two guys in the dirt in less than 90 seconds. What mythical powers does this guy have? Like, what happened in those five years? Did he go train with some monks in Tibet or something?' I don't know, I figured they'd be able to sell that a little bit better, because I think that Bellator is more an entertainment business.

"They're not really building talent," McCrory continued. "I mean, I can list off every champion in the UFC. I can't do the same thing about Bellator. I don't know half of the fighters in Bellator. I don't think they do a good enough job of building guys up, and I think that maybe they weren't willing to do that and invest in me, or they didn't like my story, or whatever. Because I guarantee the UFC is going to use it for them. It's going to look great for them. When I come back in there and I start stomping in the UFC after what I did in Bellator, that's a great narrative. Everybody wants to see somebody who got cast aside and comes back out of nowhere with the RKO and just takes the world by storm. I don't really know what the deal is with Bellator.

"It doesn't make any sense to me, man. Maybe I'm not a good enough entertainer. I don't know. I'm a good fighter and I'd rather be remembered as a good fighter than a good entertainer. I'd rather be remembered as a guy who wins than the guy who jumps up and down and spews expletives and whatever. I don't know. I just shake my head, but at the end of the day I have to be thankful for the opportunity they gave me."

McCrory now enters a UFC far different than the one he left in 2009. Year-round random drug testing is the norm, while the Reebok uniform deal has effectively nuked the sponsorship landscape. McCrory said he isn't bothered by either change, and he actually is encouraged by the Reebok switch. While some UFC fighters have complained of losing six-figure sponsorships, McCrory has long detested the game of finding, securing, and hunting down sponsorship checks from sometimes unreliable sources.

With six fights already on his UFC ledger, McCrory enters the Octagon earning an even $5,000 clip from Reebok, a sponsorship figure comparable to what he earned with Bellator. That, plus the opportunity for $50,000 post-fight bonuses -- which he most surely would've won for at least one of his two most recent fights -- is why McCrory said he had to "go where the opportunity was" and chase his second Octagon run.

"If I had those two performances in the UFC, I'd have six figures in my pocket, plus any other bonuses they throw at you," McCrory said. "For as much as everybody wants to talk poorly about the UFC, they take care of people who need to be taken care of. You know who complains about the UFC paying them? Losers. That's who. The winners don't really complain.

"I always knew that when I left the UFC, it was on decent terms. I never wanted to released. Nobody does. I never wanted that to happen, but at this point it's been nothing but a benefit. I didn't get five years of wars or getting my head knocked in. I'm 28. This is usually when people are getting their first run going, if they get their first run going. So I have plenty of time left and my body is still there and ready to get going."

No one can say for sure how McCrory's unexpected second MMA life will play out, simply because there's not many parallels for it. The man who now calls himself "The Barn Cat" is a far cry from the baby-faced, bespectacled welterweight who seemingly doubled as an IT advisor back in the mid-aughts. Whoever that kid was, he's no longer around -- replaced instead by a 6-foot-4 middleweight with a growing highlight reel and miles of life experience, someone who's finally ready to give this whole fighting thing at least one proper shot.

"I wouldn't be back in the UFC if I didn't think I [belonged]," McCrory said. "I've been there once, had some mixed success. I'm a little bit older and a lot wiser now. This is a four-fight deal. By the end of these four fights, I'm going to string four wins together and then be looking to chip away at that top-15, top-10 and work my way up. There's no thought about it, I know I have what it takes to be in the top-10 and eventually rise to the top. It's just going to be the grind of getting there. And if you don't know my story, I've been grinding the past five years to come back to this point. What's a little bit more?"

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/20/9180491/tamdan-mccrory-happy-to-land-in-ufc-after-being-dicked-around-for-so
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 12:16 pm

tamden mccrory should be happy that anyone would even hire him.

calling for more money is ridiculous.

youre tamden mccrory a guy who has never beat anyone important. and has been inconsistent your career in the big leagues.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 3:51 pm

^^^
I gotta disagree.
Yeah, he wanted more money, but who doesn't. It doesn't sound like that was what caused his frustration, though.
It seems like Bellator was trying to structure the contract so that it was a win-win for them and a huge risk for him. They basically wanted him to go fight for the title with nothing guaranteed, so then if he lost, they could bury him on the prelims forever and pay him dickwad money. If he won? Well they weren't going to look that far ahead.

I don't blame him. That sounds shady as fuck. If you're Bellator, you better keep fighters with cult followings like McCrory, because you need all the name-recognition you can get. They tried to big league him, and he called their bluff and walked. Tough shit for them.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 7:57 pm

everyone wants more money. guy who deserve more money get it. hes not a big enough name for bellator to pursue with a big contract. even if he did win the title would they want him as their champion?? hes an exciting fighter theres no question about that but his inconsistencies are bigger than his wins imo.

thats the smartest possible contract that they could possibly offer him. look if you believe in yourself go out there and win the title and you will be set. if you lose well its back to the drawing board. i dont see anything wrong with that. this is a guy who hasnt fought in 6 years and he comes back with great results that combine lasted under 1:30 seconds. how do you offer him a big contract off of that? you dont. let him prove himself.. why didnt the ufc originally pick him up? why wouldnt he risk the contract with bellator? if he believes he could be in the top 10 of the UFC then he could string together a few wins as a bellator champion to really build his hype up. that would have ultimately got him a better deal with the ufc for sure. plus him fighting on spike would allow him to get more casual viewers as fans. dumb move on his part imo.

i dont really blame him either in a way but he didnt call their bluff he asked to walk and they said go ahead. he didnt even fill out his contract with them. they dont need/care about him and he knew it. but he could have turned that into his advantage and made lots more money than he will get now.

tamdan mccrory does not have a cult following. he is an inconsistent fighter who likes to brawl. millions of guys like him. he has never really done anything spectacular in MMA and thats probably why Dana White didnt even mention it on twitter, face book, or instagram because no one really cares that much about him.

Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 8:38 pm

Well Like I said, I think it more about the fact that nothing was guaranteed with Bellator. They pretty much told him 'if' this and 'maybe' that and 'we'll see' about the other thing. I think what he's saying is the UFC told him you will have this many fights for this much money, and he liked that a lot more than the uncertainty Bellator was offering him, title fight or no title fight.

How big a name he is or how good he is really is secondary for me. I'm just saying he's not dumb for telling Bellator to take that low-ball contract laced with uncertainty and telling them to shove it when he has a more concrete offer from a bigger, more established org in the UFC.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 6:58 am

Triggerman99 wrote:
^^^
I gotta disagree.
Yeah, he wanted more money, but who doesn't. It doesn't sound like that was what caused his frustration, though.
It seems like Bellator was trying to structure the contract so that it was a win-win for them and a huge risk for him. They basically wanted him to go fight for the title with nothing guaranteed, so then if he lost, they could bury him on the prelims forever and pay him dickwad money. If he won? Well they weren't going to look that far ahead.

I don't blame him. That sounds shady as fuck. If you're Bellator, you better keep fighters with cult followings like McCrory, because you need all the name-recognition you can get. They tried to big league him, and he called their bluff and walked. Tough shit for them.

I agree 100% with this. I dont blame him IN THE LEAST.

Not only did they come at him with that shady as hell contract offer, but it was after six months of dicking him around too. I would of jumped across the table and choked those fuckers if thats what they finally came with after begging to get something done for months.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 5:04 pm

he didnt tell us what the numbers were so we have no idea what the truth is. its shady he would put them on blast and not give out the true numbers.

i think bellator should be recognized for letting him walk out of the contract he had with with after no one wanted to sign him to fight.. bellator seems to take care of fighters imo.

and for anyone that says anything about him walking from a contract where he wasnt being offered a lot of money look at tj dillashaw he made 18k for a title fight against argubly a top 5 p4p fighter in the world. his very next fight he more than doubled his pay and it keeps growing.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 9:25 pm

It's not about the numbers as far as I can tell. It's about the lack of commitment to anything concrete.
That's how Im reading it, anyway.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 9:47 am

Triggerman99 wrote:
It's not about the numbers as far as I can tell. It's about the lack of commitment to anything concrete.
That's how Im reading it, anyway.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 12:16 pm

it was about the lengthy process and of course it was about numbers

"Then they came at us and said, we'll give you the title shot, but we're only going to pay you just horrible money. And I was like, dudes, I'm not going to take that money. You guys know that's not even close."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator   Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator Empty

Back to top Go down

Tamdan McCrory happy to land in UFC after being 'dicked around for so long' by Bellator
Page 1 of 1