The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva Vote_lcapPhil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva Voting_barPhil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva Vote_lcapPhil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva Voting_barPhil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva

Go down 
+3
Gecko
the commie
Chrom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva Empty
PostSubject: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Quote :
Phil Davis knocked off another Brazilian and has another one on his mind next -- and it's not who you would think.

Davis dominated Glover Teixeira by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) in a complete effort Saturday night at UFC 179. Then, in his post-fight interview with Brian Stann, Davis called out Anderson Silva, the former UFC middleweight champion who was in attendance in Rio de Janeiro.

"Lately they've been calling me the Brazilian killer, but I really don't like that," Davis said. … "I have beat a lot of Brazilians and there's one Brazilian guy I'd like to face and that's Anderson Silva."

That was a pretty surprising challenge, considering Davis is ranked No. 6 among light heavyweight contenders and raised his stock even more by beating Teixeira. Silva, meanwhile, has fought most of his career at middleweight and is coming off a broken leg. He'll meet Nick Diaz in the main event of UFC 183 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.
http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/phil-davis-dominates-glover-teixeira-calls-out-anderson-silva-102614
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7968

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 8:02 pm

the calling out was so fucking ridiculous...
but i am glad he is sticking to his guns, to what made him a good fighter. wrestling.
too many grapplers fall under the entertainment spell, or are told by dana and co to stand and swing.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 8:10 am

I don't think Davis would beat Silva. The main reason Sonnen had so much success in taking Silva down was the fact Sonnen had no problem eating Silva's shots on the way to getting the take downs. i don't think Davis would be willing to do the same. Davis was timid about Rashads striking i can only see him being more on the reserve with Silva.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 am

I dont get it.

So he wants Anderson to move up a W/C to fight a barely recognizable name? Talk about delusions of grandeur...
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10261

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 11:00 am

the only thing impressive about phil davis is his body at the weigh ins.. how does it look like that??

Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva Phil-davis-7
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 3:24 pm

how is the physique his only impressive thing?
his dominant, world class wrestling not impressive? I have a feeling that even on this site, where i came because of the knowledge and reason of participants, we are falling prey to flash.
I remember on the old site, in the beginning, we were all praising wrestling and actually enjoying watching it and discussing it.

That said Davis's wrestling is the only impressive aspect of his game, his stand up sucks, and will always suck. He doesn't have the natural movement for crisp striking. Kind of like Brock.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 3:52 pm

^^^^^

His wrestling is good maybe even great but i dont know if i would as far as say dominant. His two biggest challenges as far as wrestling goes i would say was Rashad and Rumble and both fights he did very little to make me believe he is on there level and lost both fights by U.D. outside of Vinny all of his other fights were more strikers with limited ground games. So i can see how some may think he has a dominate ground game. Personally i think he is a very skilled wrestler but there are other wrestlers that i feel could take it to Davis.

Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 6:18 pm

the commie wrote:
how is the physique his only impressive thing?
his dominant, world class wrestling not impressive? I have a feeling that even on this site, where i came because of the knowledge and reason of participants, we are falling prey to flash.
I remember on the old site, in the beginning, we were all praising wrestling and actually enjoying watching it and discussing it.

That said Davis's wrestling is the only impressive aspect of his game, his stand up sucks, and will always suck. He doesn't have the natural movement for crisp striking. Kind of like Brock.

his wrestling is great. so what. put him against an elite wrestler and his wrestling is mediocre..
prey to flash? when im dipping in my pocket for 60 bucks a pop supporting this sport youre damn right i want flash.
do you think i want to support a gassed out phil davis stalling a fight by holding glover down? no i dont. with the growth of this sport i believe that these Martial artists so also entertain the fans. Maybe im bugging for saying that but when im spending my money on an event i want action and phil davis is notorious for leaving people snoring or going to get a beer during his fights. I know he had a few exciting moments in his career but outside of that he is nothing more than a guy who will hold you down and make it painful to watch. At least for me.
Call it what you want but he didnt impress me at all. its the same thing with him all the time high hopes and nothing comes out of it.... God forbid he ever becomes champion. That would be the absolute worst thing that could happen to UFC. For that reason alone he doesnt impress me as a MARTIAL ARTIST. As a wrestler he is great
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 7:22 pm

i love the persistence of this reasoning - if i pay money, i want to be entertained!"
there is so much wrong with that statement, in my opinion. The main problem being that the quality of what you call entertainment goes down. I always think of the example of movies, because the prices are going up, the producers have been mainly dishing out quick reaction entertainment. Like, 3d, jumping horror, dizzy action, and flat comedy.
There is place for these kinds of movies, but only as a support for the main course of substance.
So, the same is happening with MMA, people are buying into the idea that their money is worth only flash quality.
Basically entertainment is becoming only an amusement ride. But why can't you be entertained by skillful action that is not in "your face"? is it because for most people the effort is not worth their money?
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 8:54 pm

the commie wrote:
i love the persistence of this reasoning - if i pay money, i want to be entertained!"
there is so much wrong with that statement, in my opinion. The main problem being that the quality of what you call entertainment goes down. I always think of the example of movies, because the prices are going up, the producers have been mainly dishing out quick reaction entertainment. Like, 3d, jumping horror, dizzy action, and flat comedy.
There is place for these kinds of movies, but only as a support for the main course of substance.
So, the same is happening with MMA, people are buying into the idea that their money is worth only flash quality.
Basically entertainment is becoming only an amusement ride. But why can't you be entertained by skillful action that is not in "your face"? is it because for most people the effort is not worth their money?
You've been banging this drum for quite awhile now, and as I'm sure I've said before, I really think you're generalizing what people say and kind of turning it around and stripping it down to make it fit into the category you're trying to speak out against.
How can you imply that we are collectively on this site lacking knowledge of the sport, and jump to conclusions like we are "falling prey to flash", and we can't be "entertained by skillful action that is not in your face" simply by one statement where he said he didn't find anything impressive about Phil Davis?
He didn't say the guy should go out there and throw haymakers in the center of the cage until someone falls down, nor did he even say wrestling itself as a skill is boring and should be abandoned in favor of something else.
He simply said Phil Davis himself is not impressive. I don't know how you took that to mean Phil Davis should stop trying to wrestle and start throwing bombs because that's all we want to see because if they ain't bleeding and rattling brains, we don't care.
In fact, if you're looking for the meaningful, insightful MMA discussion that you are so adament is missing, simply look at Gecko's response in this very thread, where he keenly points out that Davis may not be as dominant a wrestler as believed, given his failures against Evans and Johnson, and his only real dominance coming against fighters with limited ground games. Or look at drainbamage's follow up post, where he makes some solid points about how Davis clearly gassed out (he did) and reverted to holding Teixiera down to stall his way through the fight (he did).
All valid points, and all very observant and knowledgable.
I'm not trying to get on you too bad or anything, but it does get a little offensive when you routinely question my or anybody else's knowledge of the sport while citing one small piece of wording and seemingly ignoring every other knowledgeable and insightful content that isn't condusive to the point you're trying to make about this alleged bloodlust, simpleton MMA fan epidemic that's taking place.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 11:02 pm

"when im dipping in my pocket for 60 bucks a pop supporting this sport youre damn right i want flash.
do you think i want to support a gassed out phil davis stalling a fight by holding glover down? no i dont. with the growth of this sport i believe that these Martial artists so also entertain the fans. Maybe im bugging for saying that but when im spending my money on an event i want action and phil davis is notorious for leaving people snoring or going to get a beer during his fights."

trigg, this is what i was responding to. Drain clearly says that for his money he wants flash.
And, i am not generalizing, not on this site. i am generally talking about lay fans, whose preference is obvious. Their lack of knowledge in grappling makes them push for slugfests. I was stating that there is a trend here too, to say that when grappling dominates a fight, to call it boring.
Davis's wrestling is great, he shut down a world class fighter with his own great ground skills and if he gets neutralized by other great wrestlers does not take that away. He is not my favorite fighter, not by a mile, his striking sucks and he doesnt have the smoothness in grappling that i like, but, in this fight, even though he tired, he beat a fighter that he was suppose to lose to. With brilliant wrestling. And that, i enjoyed. Because MMA is a style against style, skill against skill, its not entertainment.
Entertainment comes from watching skill.
So, overall, i know people here are knowledgeable, but i was saying that even here we sometimes fall to the explosion in the movies trap.
I do it too, and that is why i say it. it is not a condescending statement, it is a self regulating statement.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 3:07 am

OK, that's all well and good. But there was certainly a pretty substantial amount of generalization in those last few posts. That's all I'm saying.
We're all guilty of wanting to see a violent brawl from time to time, but to imply on multiple occasions that this is ALL we want to see and that skillful, technical performances are scoffed at and disregarded as boring is kind of offensive to me as an MMA fan.
I think we all can agree that the "Just Bleed!!" fans are a dime a dozen, but that doesn't mean we all have to be the polar opposite to consider ourselves "true MMA fans"; people who enjoy nothing more than a slow, methodical, grapple-fest where next to no offense takes place for the entirety of the fight.
My point is that yeah, maybe drainbamage had a moment where he was sick of Davis' boring ass style of fighting, but that doesn't mean he and the rest of the knowledgable MMA community completely disregard that style as boring, pointless, obsolete, etc.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 6:19 am

Triggerman99 wrote:

the commie wrote:

You've been banging this drum for quite awhile now, and as I'm sure I've said before, I really think you're generalizing what people say and kind of turning it around and stripping it down to make it fit into the category you're trying to speak out against.
How can you imply that we are collectively on this site lacking knowledge of the sport, and jump to conclusions like we are "falling prey to flash", and we can't be "entertained by skillful action that is not in your face" simply by one statement where he said he didn't find anything impressive about Phil Davis?
He didn't say the guy should go out there and throw haymakers in the center of the cage until someone falls down, nor did he even say wrestling itself as a skill is boring and should be abandoned in favor of something else.
He simply said Phil Davis himself is not impressive. I don't know how you took that to mean Phil Davis should stop trying to wrestle and start throwing bombs because that's all we want to see because if they ain't bleeding and rattling brains, we don't care.
In fact, if you're looking for the meaningful, insightful MMA discussion that you are so adament is missing, simply look at Gecko's response in this very thread, where he keenly points out that Davis may not be as dominant a wrestler as believed, given his failures against Evans and Johnson, and his only real dominance coming against fighters with limited ground games. Or look at drainbamage's follow up post, where he makes some solid points about how Davis clearly gassed out (he did) and reverted to holding Teixiera down to stall his way through the fight (he did).
All valid points, and all very observant and knowledgable.
I'm not trying to get on you too bad or anything, but it does get a little offensive when you routinely question my or anybody else's knowledge of the sport while citing one small piece of wording and seemingly ignoring every other knowledgeable and insightful content that isn't condusive to the point you're trying to make about this alleged bloodlust, simpleton MMA fan epidemic that's taking place.

This pretty much sums up exactly what I was going to say, but more eloquently.  It was like there was an agenda to speak to and the site was searched for a comment to use it on.

Someone posted a picture saying the only thing impressive about Davis is his physique (partially as a funny lead in imo) and we got a long diatribe on how this site is becoming a bunch of mindless drones seeking a brawl and not appreciative of the other aspects of mma.

Imo the book is still out on Davis and the extent to which he can use his wrestling. He certainly doesn't have dominant wrestling imo.  Yes his credentials are good, but I have seen him neutralized too many times for me to say he is a dominant mma wrestler.  Hell Rumble even neutralized him.

I think he has the skillset to be very good, but 1) he needs to learn how to use his wrestling in mma better 2) it's a bit disturbing to me that his standup is still as bad as it is after all this time.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35201

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 8:27 am

I thought that fight sucked.
There, I said it.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 10:57 am

Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva B02BowhIIAE8-pa

All i am saying is this isnt exciting. Maybe to some it is but to me Phil Davis needs to mix it up..

Ive been a member of this site for years and ive been an Martial Arts enthusiast since i was 8.

Trigg- everything you said was spot on.

Fist- it was simply a joke you are right

Stock- the fight did suck. I dont think there is a single person who enjoyed that fight.

Commie- I respect your opinion but davis isnt a dominant wrestler. Entertainment, skill, technique is a recipe for a great mma fight. maybe not in that order but you get what im saying. as far as this site goes id say that you have some of the most knowledgable and dedicated MMA fans around who could discuss MMA in a civilized, funny, and insightful manner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva   Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva Empty

Back to top Go down

Phil Davis dominates Glover Teixeira, calls out Anderson Silva
Page 1 of 1