The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury Vote_lcapSonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury Voting_barSonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury Vote_lcapSonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury Voting_barSonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury

Go down 
+4
Krieger
Triggerman99
norcalmatt
Chrom
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury Empty
PostSubject: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 12:25 pm

Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury 117cai10

Knee injury? What knee injury? Photo by Esther Lin via MMA Fighting
Quote :
When Junior dos Santos knocked out Cain Velasquez to win the heavyweight championship at UFC on Fox 1 on Nov. 12 in Anaheim, California, he did so after suffering a torn meniscus in his knee just 10 days before the fight.

Or at least that's what he and his doctor are saying.

Interestingly enough, a question that has gone unasked since that information was made available is how exactly he was allowed to fight with such an injury. Naturally, it's Chael Sonnen (via MMA Live) who finally brought it up:

"Biggest story coming out of this night, I'm not going to let us move on until we talk about this -- Junior dos Santos saying he's got a knee injury. Look, if that's marketing, fine. If he legitimately had an injury, this is the biggest story to come out of that night because that is a violation against the Athletic Commission. He signs, under penalty of perjury, a letter stating that he is not hiding any ailment. At best, that's a fine, at worst that's a suspension. I think it's marketing. I think he's lying to the media, and that's fine. If he lies to the government, big problems."

It should be noted that Franklin McNeil quickly noted that dos Santos has already had knee surgery to correct the issues he was having. Are we to assume that means "Cigano" lied to the commission about his knee so he could stay on the card to fight for the title?

On the flip side of the coin, UFC color commentator Joe Rogan claimed Velasquez had to take a shot in his knee beforehand just to compete. That would also raise a few questions about the legitimacy of either the injury or the commission, no?

Either way, it's quite the mess that seems to have flown almost completely under the radar.

source

What do you guys think about that? Suspect
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16396

Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 2:08 pm

i think sonnen is sour about not being champ despite what he says about himself and that hes bitter he got caught in his realestate scam and juicing!

please just go away sonnen! only want to see you fight, no desire to hear your deluded opinions and who the pretend mw champ is....cause correct me if im wrong but you said uncle and quit! it wasnt a decision by the judges it was a decision by you to give up!.....
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 2:50 pm

But that doesn't change the fact that either JDS is lying to the media or he lied to the Athletic Commissions. I mean they wouldn't let him fight with that big of an ailment right?
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59451

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Who cares.
Why do we need Chael's opinion on this? This guy has endless shit to say about endless people. This is lame.
Just lame...
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Sonnen ... the convicted criminal and steroid abuser preaching about honesty in mma? Man this guy is more and more a tool every time he opens his mouth. There has to be some sort of mental health issue involved cause the guy just cant seem to help himself.

Attention seeking, ego maniacal, whiny little bitch boy..... heh ... its funny cause its true.

Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Heh ... I think Chael is a full of shit bullshitter who knows nothing about what he is talking...

NAC 467.027 Determination of physical and mental fitness to engage in unarmed combat; examination and testing; results of medical tests required. (NRS 467.030, 467.100)

1. An applicant who has applied for a license to engage in unarmed combat or an unarmed combatant who has applied for renewal of his license must:

(a) Be examined by a physician to establish the physical and mental fitness of the applicant or unarmed combatant for competition;

(b) Provide the Commission with an original or certified copy of the result of a dilated ophthalmologic eye examination that must have been performed:

(1) By an ophthalmologist who holds an M.D. or D.O.; and

(2) At least 1 day before the date of the first bout in which the unarmed combatant plans to compete in the calendar year for which the license is valid; and

(c) If the applicant or unarmed combatant has had a brain magnetic resonance imaging scan performed within the 5 years immediately preceding the date on which his application for a license or for renewal of his license is submitted, provide the Commission with an original or certified copy of the result of the brain magnetic resonance imaging scan, unless the applicant or unarmed combatant has previously provided an original or certified copy of the result to the Commission. If the applicant or unarmed combatant has not had a brain magnetic resonance imaging scan performed within the 5 years immediately preceding the date on which his application for a license or for renewal of his license is submitted, the applicant or unarmed combatant must:

(1) Have a brain magnetic resonance imaging scan and a cerebral magnetic resonance angiography performed; and

(2) Provide the Commission with original or certified copies of the results of the brain magnetic resonance imaging scan and the cerebral magnetic resonance angiography.

2. An applicant or an unarmed combatant licensed by the Commission may be required to submit to any examination or testing ordered by the Commission.

3. An applicant or an unarmed combatant must provide with his application for a license or for renewal of a license an original or certified copy of the results of medical tests which:

(a) Were performed by a laboratory during the calendar year for which the license is being issued or no earlier than 30 days before the date on which the application is submitted;

(b) Show that the applicant or unarmed combatant is not infected with the human immunodeficiency virus; and

(c) Show that the applicant or unarmed combatant is not infected with the hepatitis virus.

[Athletic Comm’n, § 62, eff. 4-25-78]—(NAC A 12-13-82; 11-2-88; 12-2-97; R083-00, 9-22-2000; R083-00, 9-22-2000, eff. 1-1-2001; R076-03, 12-3-2003)
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9490

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Who doesn't lie to the athletic commission about being injured? Sherk did it before a title fight, Chuck did it before a title fight, I'm sure there are more. If a guy wants to fight injured, and he knows what he's risking then who gives a fuck what the commission says? As long as he doesn't have AIDS or some other blood borne disease then they can eat butt, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59451

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:25 am

Well it's OK to lie about doping, but not about having an injury. I think that's what Chael is saying.

I gotta ask this, and it's in all seriousness;
Is Chael mentally ill?

Because if he is, at least I could have some sort of respect for him when he says shit like this. Because he can't help it if he's mentally ill. If he's just a tool, then yeah, I still feel the same way I alway have felt about him.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Let's say I wanted to get into money laundering. Should I tell the commission about that? They don't really need to know, do they? lol!
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15331

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:39 am

Triggerman99 wrote:
Who cares.
Why do we need Chael's opinion on this? This guy has endless shit to say about endless people. This is lame.
Just lame...

cheers cheers cheers 1000% agree
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12617

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:04 am

DEP wrote:
Let's say I wanted to get into money laundering. Should I tell the commission about that? They don't really need to know, do they? lol!

No, but you would be required to tell me, because I would want in! Metal
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5930

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:28 am

I'm not going to say anything about Cigano lying or not disclosing an injury;
just that Sonnen should not worry so much about what everyone else does.
Even more so in the instance of a new champion who he will never face, so why
bring this stuff up; he says hes a fighter; be a fighter and stop acting like a undercover
journalist.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:23 pm

FistK wrote:
DEP wrote:

No, but you would be required to tell me, because I would want in! Metal

Cool, I will shoot Chael an email and get back to you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury   Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury Empty

Back to top Go down

Sonnen: I think Junior dos Santos is lying to the media about his knee injury
Page 1 of 1