The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure Vote_lcapChris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure Voting_barChris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure Vote_lcapChris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure Voting_barChris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure

Go down 
+5
samger2
DEP
stock
Triggerman99
Chrom
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure Empty
PostSubject: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Quote :
Chris Leben is hanging up his gloves after an 11-year professional career that included 22 bouts in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Leben officially announced his retirement during Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour.

“It’s been a fantastic, wonderful ride. I’ve landed more strikes than anybody out there. Definitely highs and lows, ups and downs, but I think I’m starting to realize that, for me, it might be time to make that transition away from competing and get more on the coaching side of things,” Leben told Ariel Helwani.

“After [UFC 168], I wanted to go back and re-evaluate things, make sure that the decision wasn’t based purely on emotion. That it was really what I wanted to do. And now, yes, I can say, I’ve really retired from competing in MMA.”

Leben was an integral figure in the UFC’s growth. One of the most polarizing figures on Season 1 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Leben’s in-house feud with fellow cast members Josh Koscheck and Bobby Southworth helped to generate interest in the reality show.

His heavy-handed, brawling style made him a fan favorite during his tenure with the promotion, where he posted a 12-10 mark with notable wins over Patrick Cote, Jorge Rivera, Aaron Simpson, Yoshihiro Akiyama and Wanderlei Silva, to name a few.
continued...
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59451

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Yeah, when a fighter has to argue with his corner about continuing the fight and HE'S the one trying to get the fight stopped, then it's time for him to hang em up.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35199

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 7:08 am

I thought he had a heck of a career, and always put on exciting fights.
I was out of my seat in his fights with Akiyama, Wandy, and Stann.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 8:54 am

Yeah, I have liked him since he spritz on the Canadians pillow. He is one of those guys that is gonna go in there and try his damnedest to put on an exciting fight. I'll miss watching his wars.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9490

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 am

Chrom wrote:
Yeah, I have liked him since he spritz on the Canadians pillow. He is one of those guys that is gonna go in there and try his damnedest to put on an exciting fight. I'll miss watching his wars.

Yep, The Fatherless Bastard should have been his nickname from day 1. He always went in there and tried to put on exciting fights. Another thing I respected about hm was that he wouldn't tap, he'd just get choked out. That's what the fans want to see and he was glad to be the test dummy. His wiki page says he lost to Hall via TKO (retirement) lol.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10312

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 10:47 am

Yeah...Leben's always been my comparison against GSP...GSP is the oatmeal...Leben is the freaking steak dinner. Sometimes you get too full....your stomach hurts and you feel like you're gonna vomit...but damnit, you just ate a steak dinner!

Always entertaining, always brings it, never plays it safe.

All that said...I'm glad to see him go before he gets hurt.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Went a long way without much talent other than the ability to, hit hard, get hit hard and keep coming. I think that as a fighter the particular talent of being able to take hard hits does not necessarily equate to career longevity.

I appreciated his entertainment value, but I also appreciate watching really good car crashes and train wrecks and I think Lebans career was more in the nature of watching a long term train wreck.

I don't think he will be making the Hall of Fame anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 2:15 pm

His fight with Cote was about the closest thing to a video game fight I have ever seen. They literally both just stood there and took turns punching each other in the face as hard as they could. That was one of the most sadistically entertaining fights I have ever seen.
Seeing him starch Terry Martin after Martin thought he had the fight in the bag was pretty sweet, too.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15331

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 am

Good luck Leben and thank you for several years of great fights to watch.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12617

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 am

It's too bad his life was a mess. He had a decent building block to be a very good fighter if he would of ever dedicated himself to improving.

If he could of ever improved on any facet of his game he would of made a difference in the division. He was awesome to watch and I really appreciate his warrior mentality, but I think if rookie Chris Leben fought recent Leben it would be a draw, because there was no difference in ability what so ever.

(Although if rookie Leben fought last fight Leben rookie Leben would win, because Leben is showing signs of the wars catching up to him now).
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35199

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 12:00 pm

I don't know. Leben was only a brawler in the beginning and then he developed a pretty good jiu jitsu game. He had some good submission wins, most notably against Akiyama... a fight where the brawler was getting outbrawled and he needed the triangle choke to get the win.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 2:11 pm

Yeah I agree with stock. I have seen some pretty decent improvement to Leben's wrestling and jiu-jitzu game, especially since he relocated to Hawai'i. He's not gonna outgrapple a true-blue former American college wrestler or a bonafide BJJ blackbelt, but I'd say he definitely rounded out his game over time.
But I think he said it best himself; he's gone as far as he's going to. Even though he's advanced as a fighter over the years, at this point in his career, it's unrealistic to think he can consitently win fights in any other way than standing in the pocket and throwing bombs and hoping for a big one to land.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12617

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 6:07 am

Well I guess I worded it wrong. I didnt mean he didnt add a little BJJ to his game, I just meant he never really changed his style (besides the Akiyama fight at the end).

I mean after one or two fights in the UFC as a rookie I would say he was ranked somewhere around 15 or so and I am pretty sure he hovered there about his entire career without much advancement.

Thats all.

Anyways, I wish him the best. He certainly hasnt had an easy life.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 2:01 pm

Yeah that's why I referenced the "he's gone as far as he's going to go" part in terms of how he fights. Even he knows it; if it ain't a Rock em Sock em robot type of fight, he doesn't have much to offer.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7966

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 1:43 pm

i dont really know what shit he has gone through in his life or if he is a well meaning human being in general. doesnt seem so from here, but, with benefit of doubt, good luck to him anyway. as far as his fights, he was the prime example of what type of fighters i found boring. no improvisation, no fluidity, no plan, minimal skill, just plodding forward and bleeding. yes, that is boring in my book, i want to see mastery and i want to see martial arts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure   Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure Empty

Back to top Go down

Chris Leben Announces Retirement from MMA After 22-Bout UFC Tenure
Page 1 of 1