The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Babalu calls it quits and retires. Vote_lcapBabalu calls it quits and retires. Voting_barBabalu calls it quits and retires. Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Babalu calls it quits and retires. Vote_lcapBabalu calls it quits and retires. Voting_barBabalu calls it quits and retires. Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Babalu calls it quits and retires.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15331

Babalu calls it quits and retires. Empty
PostSubject: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bellator-96-results-king-mo-043359666--mma.html

16 years as a fighter is a good stint. Good luck on future things. My guess is that he will probably stay active on the grappling circuit still.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

PostSubject: Re: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 9:09 am

I disagreed with the stoppage. They were both winded as fuck anyone who landed in the last couple, could have won it IMO. Babalu was wobbled but no where near out. He had a decent run, I always thought he had the talent to do a little more in the UFC than what he did. Just couldn't seem to put the pieces together quite right.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

PostSubject: Re: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:52 am

Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10312

PostSubject: Re: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 am

Yeah it seemed like a bit of a premature stoppage.  The only thing I can say is I think it was mentioned that it appeared to the ref that Babalu was looking for a way out.  I guess the ref saw something in his face that we couldn't see...some desparation I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3790

PostSubject: Re: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:43 pm

I thought it was slightly premature, but I think the ref stopped it because he sort of wobbled and put his back to Noe. Always liked Babalu ,but I agree with Chrom he was a guy with a lot of talent and skills that wasn't able to package it together.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35199

PostSubject: Re: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 7:32 am

I've always liked Babalu.  He was on the card at the first live MMA event I went to.
http://www.sherdog.com/events/WEF-8-Goin-Platinum-306

A bunch of us in college roadtripped from Wisconsin to Georgia since a guy that coached us a lot of BJJ was on the card.  We didn't even know who else was on this card, but a lot of awesome fights.

In the main event, Phil Johns (who my best friend fought later that year for the Extreme Challenge belt) got KO'd by Jens Pulver.

Pat Militech got wrecked by Pele (Jose Landi-Jones).  So awesome since we all hated Militech's LnP style which was not as common in 2000.  Pele had none of it an pretty much chased him around the ring and beat the shit out of him for 8 minutes befoe the corner threw in the towell.  I remember loving Pele after that fight.  He was very exciting to watch, but could never string enough wins together before getting subbed by a good bjj guy.  He did KO Matt Hughes in 2001.

Jeremy Horn got screwed out a decision against Big Nog.

Bobby Hoffman hit some guy in the face about 12 times full power before the ref decided to pull him off.

Babalu fought Brad Kohler (who was a heavy favorite coming off a brutal UFC KO victory about a year earlier).  Babalu (not really known at the time) messed him up bad and put him on a stretcher.  Babalu got a sweet takedown.  Then Kohler pretty much gave up his back as he was eating punches in full mount.  Kohler kind of turtled up expecting Babalu to take his back, but instead Babalu stood up and then ran at him with a devestating soccer kick like he was kicking a field goal.  Kohler went on to lose 9 more fights in a row after that.

Matt Hughes TKO'd some guy (doctor stoppage) after too much blood from GnP.  It took a lot to stop a fight from too much blood back then.

Aaron Riley was even on the card.

Those were the good ol days.  You never see a stacked card like that anymore, much less pay like 8 bucks a ticket for the cheap seats and then just move your way up pretty close to ringside after the first couple fights.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15331

PostSubject: Re: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 7:49 am

^^^^^^^^^^

Damn that did sound like a pretty sweet card to see live.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10312

PostSubject: Re: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:41 am

Yeah it sucks we don't get to see cards like that anymore
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3790

PostSubject: Re: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 8:08 pm

I always liked the Sobral-Kohler fight, Kohler was huge and the announcers were talking about how strong he was. Babalu who's never looked particularly cut just held him there landed knees and then kicked his head off.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35199

PostSubject: Re: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 4:11 pm

I also saw Kohler's fight against Jason Allar at the fkn Brat Stop in Kenosha, WI later that year.  Talk about a fall from grace.  Guy looked like he had not been doing anything for 3 months except eating grilled cheese popsicles and horse hormones.  His pupils were about the size of pin heads and pretty sure he snorted about 5 line of coke before he went into the ring. 
He pretty much blew his wad in the first 11 seconds and then could barely throw another punch.  He eventually went unconcious after taking about 12 knees on the ground after a shot was stuffed.

By buddy got screwed out a split decision against Jeff Curan on the same card.  Sean Sherk was one of the judge which was a little biased considering they were training together and acting like best buds the entire night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Babalu calls it quits and retires.   Babalu calls it quits and retires. Empty

Back to top Go down

Babalu calls it quits and retires.
Page 1 of 1