The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Glover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job Vote_lcapGlover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job Voting_barGlover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Glover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job Vote_lcapGlover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job Voting_barGlover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Glover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22846

Glover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job Empty
PostSubject: Glover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job   Glover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Quote :
Glover Teixeira may be a relative newcomer in the eyes of the mainstream MMA fan, but he's been around the block.

The Brazilian light heavyweight has been a pro for more than 10 years, but it took him until May to really get widespread recognition after signing with the UFC.

Saturday, Teixeira (18-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) fights fellow Brazilian Fabio Maldonado (18-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC) at UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro, where a win could catapult him to the next level of popularity.

Teixeira said he has seen plenty of growth in the sport since he made his MMA debut at WEC 3 in June 2002. Teixeira, who trains at The Pit in San Luis Obispo, Calif., with renowned Chuck Liddell trainer John Hackleman, said returning to his native Brazil from his longtime home in America in 2008 helped show him the sport's eventual growth.

"I do see a big difference, but MMA was already big when I left for Brazil (in 2008)," Teixeira told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "When I arrived in Brazil that week, the sport was little known outside of certain circles. So during that period, the biggest growth occurred in Brazil. Now you turn on the TV, flip the channels, and you can easily find someone talking about the UFC. I'm very happy to be part of organization that's so popular around the world."

With the UFC in a still-new long-term TV deal with FOX, and more events happening per year than ever, Teixeira believes the sport is going to continue to get bigger.

But he said its growth is not by accident – it's because of the concerted efforts of UFC owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta and Dana White.

"I don't think it's a fad because the change didn't occur too quickly," Teixeira said. "The UFC has been growing gradually since taken over by Dana White and the Fertittas. It may seem quick now, but they've been putting in the work for years now, across the globe. I think it's going to continue to grow. This is no fad."

As the sport continues to evolve, what Teixeira does for a living will become more accepted. But he still has a stigma to fight when he's not fighting in the octagon.

That's one thing he looks forward to shedding one day – that many people don't understand there is little flexibility in the kind of work he does, just like there's little flexibility in the typical office job.

"It's strange that people don't respect the work we put in every day," he said. "Even my family and friends, they'll invite me to parties. When I answer I have to train on that day, they ask me to change my schedule, and act offended if I can't. ... That's what I have a difficult time explaining to people. Going to the gym is my job. ... This is my job, how I prepare for a fight. My livelihood depends on this. They tell me 'Train later! Train tomorrow!' People need to respect this a bit more.
continued...
Back to top Go down

Glover Teixeira wants people to understand MMA is a real job
Page 1 of 1