The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  Vote_lcapCormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  Voting_barCormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  Vote_lcapCormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  Voting_barCormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot

Go down 
+4
stock
Triggerman99
Chrom
drainbamage
8 posters
AuthorMessage
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10262

Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  Empty
PostSubject: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:43 pm

“I would like it to be for the Strikeforce Championship because I’d like to actually put that belt on my mantle too – if I’m lucky enough to beat Frank and retire as the last Strikeforce Champion. I think it should be for the Strikeforce Heavyweight Title. If they find it within themselves to make it for the belt, I’d be very pleased.”

Daniel added that when he does enter the UFC, his name should be near the top of the list for title contenders.”I want to throw my name into the hat, if I’m able to get past Frank Mir,” he said. Then he made sure to remind the UFC brass that he’s on his way to come make some noise in the organization. “Hey guys don’t forget about me over here. I’ve been chuggin along and if I get through this fight, that’s three top ten guys in a row. I should be in line for a belt. I should get a shot at either of those divisions.”

If Cain does beat JDS and ends up holding the heavyweight title, Daniel said he’d like to fight Jon Jones at light heavyweight, or in a super fight, depending on the circumstances. “A lot of it depends on the Cain situation,” Cormier said of the possibility he drops to fight at 205 and gets a title fight against Jon Jones. “Standing across the cage from that guy would be great for me. I’d love to do at some point in my career. Even if I am maybe the heavyweight champion and there’s a chance to make a super fight, we could figure something out him and I, because I would not back down from that opportunity.”

http://www.mmafightcorner.com/2012/08/13/daniel-cormier-ufc-if-win-fight-give-title-shot/

cormier vs jones at 205....... yes please
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22860

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah... I wonder what Cormier would look like at at 205? He has KO power and great wrestling, but I wonder if he loses anything with the weight cut.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10262

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 5:30 pm

yeah he loses 25 pounds of fat... guy would be a terror at lhw... endless options for him there...

i could rattle off 20 names of great fights for him there.

i just hope it wouldnt be another case of brandon vera...

i personally think his frame is way to small for hw and he would find that out against guys like reem, carwin, big country etc..

i know he handled barnett pretty easily and barnett is a big guy but he doesnt have the agility and speed of most other hws that side
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59454

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Yeah, guys he beat in SF like Barnett and Bigfoot were certainly HWs, but they were just kind of large men in a simple kind of way (that sounds stupid, but I can't think of a better way to word it). Top HWs in the UFC are typically physical freaks who are big and fast and strong and well rounded.
That extra weight he is carrying is going to be nothing more than a hinderance to his potential in the UFC.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35202

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:56 pm

I think he deserves a HW title shot if he beats Mir.
However, I'd like to see him get at least one warm up fight in a weight class he's never fought in first.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5741

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Wow ... really ...? A Strikeforce nobody... ok ok ... "champ.?"... who has fought nobody of note with no fights in the UFC.... demands a title shot?

Hmmm is there a test for fighters who are on GLUE ! WTF is this guy thinking he gets a title shot on this record?

NO WAY there are so many other guys ahead on the ladder.....

If he beats Mir give him a trial shot at the UFC... the title no fucking way.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Wait... what.... a trial shot in the UFC???
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Yeah put him against .... say .... Kongo and Big Country or Big Foot ... heh he loses his first couple in the UFC he can go back to Strikeforce and be the heavyweight champ of a division that doesn't exist.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16399

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:40 pm

i think he already beat big foot????
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 am

Yeah, he beat the shit outta Big Foot and I am fairly certain he would rape Kongo on the ground.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10315

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:32 am

No way...not yet. See if he can get past big country, Kongo, then Hunt...then we'll talk
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:35 am

Alright, I'll bite.
He is 10-0 and currently ranked #3 in the world.
Next fight against Frank Mir (#6 in the world).
Last fight, Destroyed Barnett (#4 in the world at the time).
2 Fights ago, Destroyed Silva (#4 in the world at the time).

I think that's definitely enough to get a title shot if he handles Mir.

Who else would you consider ahead of him for a title shot, and please back it up with their supporting resume.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 pm

The only person IMO thats up nearly as high as he is would be Hunt.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:26 pm

And even his resume is not impressive at all.
Kongo was really impressive but he looked gassed after 2.5 minutes against Rothwell. Still stuck in the back of my mind is his not so distant 6 consecutive loss streak (Barnett, Fedor, Overeem, Manhoef, Mousasi, & (most recently McCorkle).
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15334

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 8:33 am

samger2 wrote:
No way...not yet. See if he can get past big country, Kongo, then Hunt...then we'll talk

I think Cormier would beat kongo and hunt but i think Nelson could stop him.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 am

Thats the problem nobody knows what this guy can do in the real world. Let him get a few UFC fights under his belt first and then talk about moving up.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:25 am

well he beat bigfoot and now we get to see how he does vs mir........after we see how he does vs mir we'll have a decent idea how he does vs ufc fighters.....mir will be a huge test for him and it will be interesting to see how he keeps his composure.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:27 am

I don't see Mir doing any better than Barnett. They are essentially the same fighter (now that Mir's striking has improved a bit).
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:32 am

mir is probabyly a better grappler than barnette imo
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:56 am

Mir is looking for a win and I think he has more than a fair chance to beat Cormier.

Just think Jeff Monson (hardly the poster boy for Cardio) took Cormier to a third round decision. Barnett ... decision... I don't think Cormier can finish as good as some people are giving him credit. If Mir gets a hold of Cormier... end of...
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Monson, takes the majority of his fights to a decision though...
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Meh ... more chokes than submissions but even though I've never really been a Monson fan.

Lumbering, poor cardio, limited skill set IMO .... and dare I say it.... an awful lot of muscle mass for a man of 41. Did not do to well in the UFC fighting clean... did better when he was juicing (his admission). Freely admits to using roids and supports their use in MMA.

Was "clean" fighting Cormier.... the point being.... beating Monson was not that much of an accomplishment and it was a hard fight for him.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Very true, I always thought he would be best cutting half that muscle off and going to 205.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot    Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot  Empty

Back to top Go down

Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot
Page 1 of 1