The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Melendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson Vote_lcapMelendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson Voting_barMelendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Melendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson Vote_lcapMelendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson Voting_barMelendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Melendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

Melendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson Empty
PostSubject: Melendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson   Melendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson EmptySun May 20, 2012 9:38 am

Quote :
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Finding motivation to fight Josh Thomson wasn't the grand struggle it was made out to be for Gilbert Melendez.

"It's tough to get motivated sometimes just because if I was on the other end of the stick and I got a good opportunity, it's a lot easier to get motivated," he said after a close decision victory over Thomson at "Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final."

Finding momentum during the fight was a different story.

A disappointed Melendez (21-2 MMA, 11-1 SF) felt he could have performed better against Thomson (19-5 MMA, 10-2 SF) in the rubber match that many fans saw as a lateral move for his career.

"I couldn't really unleash the beast tonight," he said. "I just kind of felt like I was in control."

Two of three judges agreed and awarded Melendez the fight by scores of 29-28. A third dissented for Thomson, 29-28. It was Melendez's fourth title defense since retaking the belt from Thomson in December 2009.

"Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Finale" took place Saturday at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. The main card aired live on Showtime while went to Showtime Extreme aired prelims.

The close fight prompted the question of a fourth fight between the champ and former titleholder. Melendez placated the pro-Thomson crowd with a "yeah sure, whatever," when it was broached immediately after the decision.

But at the post-fight presser, he gave an emphatic "no" when asked the same.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, meanwhile, was lavish in his praise of the rubber match but said Melendez and Thomson wouldn't meet again.

"The trilogy is done, and we'll go from there," he said.

From the announcement of the third fight, Melendez faced questions of whether he was up to the task when his campaign to cross into the UFC failed. He was frank in admitting the matchup was not the one he wanted, but he said he would properly prepare nonetheless.

Thomson's previous performance, a workmanlike decision victory over K.J. Noons, led many to believe Melendez would dominate the fight, and he was an overwhelming favorite in betting lines.

Melendez said he knew Thomson would be a tough and tried not to let expectations get to him.

"Even if I win, you lose, unless you finish him or do it in spectacular fashion," he said. "But I'm alright with it."

Thomson proved he was as dangerous as ever when he nearly submitted Melendez late in the fourth round. Melendez called the close call a "game changer."

And moving forward, it's a game he doesn't want to play again.

"I got the job done, and I thought I was in control," Melendez said.
source

What a joke, you squeak by on a very debatable split decision and you have already lost one to him... but "no" to a fourth... Coker is a fuckin moron if he doesn't want there to be a 4th. That fight was fuckin amazing to watch and one of the best under the SF banner. Bring Thompson to the UFC and say fuck Melendez and let his career end with Coker and SF.
Back to top Go down
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7713

Melendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson   Melendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson EmptySun May 20, 2012 1:58 pm

I have yet to watch this fight.
Back to top Go down

Melendez & CEO Coker say no to fourth fight with Thomson
Page 1 of 1