The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones Vote_lcapChuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones Voting_barChuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones Vote_lcapChuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones Voting_barChuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones

Go down 
+7
FistK
samger2
Berserk
Grey Suit
Chrom
butterknifeninja
Triggerman99
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59451

Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones Empty
PostSubject: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 8:18 pm

He might have to if Jones keeps cleaning up like he's been doing.

Quote :
Retired (Ultimate Fighting Championship) stalwart Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell would consider returning to the Octagon, but only for a shot at the UFC light heavyweight crown currently held by the division’s supreme kingpin, Jon “Bones” Jones.

Original quotes reported by MMAMania.com

“The only thing that would even make me think about it is if they gave me a shot at the title. So, we'll see. For now? Yeah. Jon Jones. I don't wanna come back as a sideshow. It's just one of those things. It's not something I wanna do,” Liddell said.

Save for Tito Ortiz, who has five title defenses, Liddell and Frank Shamrock share the distinction of being the only two fighters in the company’s history to have had the pleasure of successfully defending the 205-pound belt on four separate occasions.

In his heyday, the Californian native was one of the most, if not the most recognizable faces associated with MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) and the Zuffa-based outfit.

En route to usurping the light heavyweight title from Randy “The Natural” Couture, Liddell had defeated the likes of Kevin Randleman, Vitor Belfort, Renato Sobral, Alistair Overeem and Ortiz.

However, in May of 2007 at UFC 71—defending his title for a fifth time against Quinton Jackson—the once-formidable Iceman would encounter the first of four devastating and cataclysmic losses.

A split decision defeat to Keith Jardine followed thereafter, though he did redeem himself of sorts with a win over Wanderlei Silva, the writing was on the wall—three concussive knockouts at the hands of Rashad Evans, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Rich Franklin all but sent him into retirement.

Liddell’s inability to take a punch in the final stages of his career (something he readily admits to) and his penchant for standing and banging are a few of the reasons which hastened his demise.

"You know, it was a hard decision to make, to retire, but it wasn't like I couldn't compete with guys. I can't quite take a punch like I used to and I didn't wanna change my style. I could start wrestling and try to control guys, but then I still got the chance of getting hit hard. It just wasn't the way I wanted to fight. I fought so many years, and I wanted to go out fighting the way I like to fight: exciting and fun."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1160266-chuck-liddel-would-consider-a-return-to-the-octagon-but-only-to-fight-jon-jones
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4014

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 pm

That would be a horrific murder...
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Puke
Back to top Go down
Grey Suit
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grey Suit

Standard Cash : 31185

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 11:23 pm

No chuck... Just no...
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

Standard Cash : 28627

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 12:32 am

if there was one person who Jon Jones actually has a really good chance to knockout.... it would be Chuck.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 3:02 am

I would love to see it.

I can picture it now;

Jones clears out the division, and with no one left to challenge him, Dana says "Fuck it. Let's make a few bucks and stir up a little nostalgia. We'll just hype this up and give Jones something to do until another challenger comes along".
Jones comes out on all fours and screws around for a few seconds, then he stands up right into the path of a monster Liddell overhand right. He staggers back against the cage on bambi legs with one eye open, and Chuck swarms on him ala Liddell/Ortiz 1 and Jones folds like a lawnchair. Liddell does his patented victory scream, the arena goes fucking daffy, there's a close-up of Dana going "HOLY SHIT!", and we're all sitting there making this face Shocked and repeating out loud "The new champ is.......Chuck Liddell?" over and over again.

See, now I actually don't want to see it. I'd rather just pretend that what I wrote above is what really happened. LOL!

Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10312

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 7:49 am

No Chuck...please...no
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 7:56 am

Triggerman99 wrote:
I would love to see it.

I can picture it now;

Jones clears out the division, and with no one left to challenge him, Dana says "Fuck it. Let's make a few bucks and stir up a little nostalgia. We'll just hype this up and give Jones something to do until another challenger comes along".
Jones comes out on all fours and screws around for a few seconds, then he stands up right into the path of a monster Liddell overhand right. He staggers back against the cage on bambi legs with one eye open, and Chuck swarms on him ala Liddell/Ortiz 1 and Jones folds like a lawnchair. Liddell does his patented victory scream, the arena goes fucking daffy, there's a close-up of Dana going "HOLY SHIT!", and we're all sitting there making this face Shocked and repeating out loud "The new champ is.......Chuck Liddell?" over and over again.

See, now I actually don't want to see it. I'd rather just pretend that what I wrote above is what really happened. LOL!

HAhaha, that would be fuckin nuts and if it were to happen WTF would that do to the division lol black would be white, up would be down... alsorts of fucked uppedness
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12617

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 am

How is this even a story? lol
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35199

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 am

^^^

This.
I would also like to announce that I would come out of retirement to fight Jones.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15331

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 9:35 am

and jones will knock him back into retirement just as quickly as he got out of retirement.

Chuck just stay down.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Gecko wrote:
and jones will knock him back into retirement just as quickly as he got out of retirement.

Chuck just stay down.
Chuck can't stay down! it's not in his soul!!!
Metal Metal Metal
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10312

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 pm

I think that's the case with most of these old timers like Chuck and Randy and Royce...it's not within them to give up the fight...no matter how old they get or how one dimensional some of them remain in a multi-dimensional pool of fighters...fighting and training is all they know and when it's time for them to hang it up that idea is so foreign that just mentoring and training isn't even a viable option.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Bleacher Report ... go figure

I just bet Dana is drooling with a pre-made one fight contract ready for his friend Chuck to sign so he can fight Jones and become the first death in the UFC ring.

Naw ... probably not. There is no way in heck Dana will sanction this fight .... all Bleacher Report crap.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 5:59 pm

Krieger wrote:
Bleacher Report ... go figure

I just bet Dana is drooling with a pre-made one fight contract ready for his friend Chuck to sign so he can fight Jones and become the first death in the UFC ring.

Naw ... probably not. There is no way in heck Dana will sanction this fight .... all Bleacher Report crap.
I agree that Bleacher report makes up a bunch of crap and tries to pass it off as journalism, but this is actual quotes from Liddell. There's no "Hey, what if this happened?" BS that you usually see on that site. Chuck was just saying he would do it, and they reported it.
Back to top Go down
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7713

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Chuck is doin railz again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones   Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones Empty

Back to top Go down

Chuck Liddell would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones
Page 1 of 1