The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Fighters That Just Lack Something Vote_lcapFighters That Just Lack Something Voting_barFighters That Just Lack Something Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Fighters That Just Lack Something Vote_lcapFighters That Just Lack Something Voting_barFighters That Just Lack Something Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Fighters That Just Lack Something

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3785

Fighters That Just Lack Something Empty
PostSubject: Fighters That Just Lack Something   Fighters That Just Lack Something EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 6:28 am

I've talked with my friends alot about how there are some fighters that have great technique or a well rounded game ,but just lack that essential mental edge I'd guess I'd call it.

UFC 144 had me thinking of this during the Tim Boestch-Okami fight.

Chael Sonnen for example has a great all around game ,but seems to lack a sense of urgency. Whenever he's dominating in an important fight he'll put his head down in a black belt's guard even though submission defense is the weakest part of his game. He did it against Anderson and the first time against Filho.

Tim Boestch has great techniques like his kicks, dirty boxing, that slam against Heath, and that throw into the mounted crucifix. But every fight he seems to gas ,but hasn't improved his cardio and doesn't listen to his corner which causes him to lose or almost lose fights.

Are there any guys you can think of that have this same problem?
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Fighters That Just Lack Something   Fighters That Just Lack Something EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 11:26 am

If BJ had GSP's motivation and work ethic he would be unbeatable.

Leben - discipline (or lack of) constantly keeps him out of title contention.

Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15326

PostSubject: Re: Fighters That Just Lack Something   Fighters That Just Lack Something EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 12:49 pm

If dan hardy had a good ground game and take down defense was better, i could see him being a top 10 welter weight again. (maybe even Daley if he cleans up his act and gets some wrestling skills too) Neither of them i would say could take the UFC title but i could see there rankings taking a big jump though.

if frankie edgar dropped weight i think he could find just as much success and probably have a longer fight life to him as well.

Probably the biggest one, if gecko can get his ass to bispings camp in cali. He most definitly would be the greatest and craziest kickboxer ever to live.......(well maybe)

Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22852

PostSubject: Re: Fighters That Just Lack Something   Fighters That Just Lack Something EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Speaking of Bisping..... I'm not exactly sure what he needs or is lacking, but he just can't seem to beat anyone in the top 3.
Maybe its the raw KO punching power that he lacks, now that I think of it. He is a damn good striker, he just lacks that power. Could you imagind Bisping with Stann's punching power....
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15326

PostSubject: Re: Fighters That Just Lack Something   Fighters That Just Lack Something EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Chrom wrote:
Speaking of Bisping..... I'm not exactly sure what he needs or is lacking, but he just can't seem to beat anyone in the top 3.
Maybe its the raw KO punching power that he lacks, now that I think of it. He is a damn good striker, he just lacks that power. Could you imagind Bisping with Stann's punching power....

100% agree, I think his loss to rashad and henderson was just being inexperinced. his grappling game hasnt come along yet with rashads fight and with henderson he made a really bad goof by circling into Henderson power punch side and paid the price for it. Wandi was a super close that i did think bisping won, i just think wandi got the nod cause at the end of most of the rounds wandi was either going for a submission or ground and pound. but when you look back at that fight Bisping was landing more shots through out the rounds he just wasnt having those good finishes to the round. Chael was just a razor close fight with one judge who wasnt watching the same fight (the judge that said sonnen won 30-27)

Man if Bisping could have Stanns ko power behind him he could be a serious force in the middle weight divison, not that he isnt already a threat but man he would be even more scary with that behind him.

Great now i am having Bisping nut hugger day dreams of this now. Metal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fighters That Just Lack Something   Fighters That Just Lack Something Empty

Back to top Go down

Fighters That Just Lack Something
Page 1 of 1