The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_lcapBJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Voting_barBJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_lcapBJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Voting_barBJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?

Go down 
+3
DEP
stock
lambhimself
7 posters

What is the best thing for BJ career wise?
1) Take 6 months off, go surfing Brah and then get back in the gym and get serious again.
BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_lcap17%BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
2) Take a few months off, get back in the gym; go back to LW.
BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_lcap17%BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
3) Think about it, Retire as a Legend; don't come back.
BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_lcap50%BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
4) Get back in the ring ASAP.
BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_lcap16%BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Vote_rcap
 16% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5932

BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Empty
PostSubject: BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?   BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 1:44 pm

A quote from BJpenn.com:

“I want to thank all the fans for their love and support. I have decided to take some time off to enjoy life, train and teach. I will keep you guys posted with what’s next.”

- BJ Penn

The crazy thing is this is almost word for word what he had to say afte GSP whipped his ass last time, literally.

I think he just needs some time off to think and recharge, and then hopefully he can make an unbiased decision.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35201

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?   BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:51 pm

I think the BJ is the type of guy that will just retire if he doesn't think he can be a champ again.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9492

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?   BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:57 pm

I don't think he can recharge, I mean we're talking about a guy who was never "charged" in the first place. He just seems like the kind of guy who fights because he likes it, not because he wants to be the best at it. The guys who like it AND desire to be the best have more or less taken over now and there isn't going to be room for anyone else. You have to be driven, you have to wake up every single day with that gold belt on your mind or you're wasting your time. I don't see BJ as that guy, never have.

When you look at the evolution of MMA, it started with guys who were just big and tough and liked to beat on people. Some had the drive, some didn't. Talent soon came rolling in and all the Tank Abbots and Tim Sylvia's were phased out. Now the guys who want nothing less than everything are here and they have the talent to boot, and guys like Fedor and BJ can't keep up. Talented? Absolutely. Driven? No. It works that way in any sport, but this is really the first time that people in our generation have had a chance to witness a new sport take off from the ground up like this.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5740

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?   BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:09 pm

^^^ This ... mostly....

HEY HEY HEY Tank Abbott just won his last four round fight. Suspect

I do agree with everything you say except for the vicious and unwarrented attack on my favorite fighter of all time. ( And I dont mean Fedor, Sylvia or Penn )

I do believe that the term "Prima Donna" does apply here.

Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9492

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?   BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Well that wasn't supposed to be an attack. I kinda threw that in for you but mainly I mentioned him because he embodied the UFC pioneer perfectly. Big tough goon, not much talent and not entirely driven. Definitely a head buster. Those guys dominated in the early years. Then the sport evolved, and APES like Tank went by the wayside. See now that was an attack!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?   BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:19 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?   BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 6:48 am

I think BJ wants to be the best I just dont think he wants to have to work at it...lol
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4016

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?   BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 7:52 am

Fistk, I know you said that half-joking but you're absolutely right. Here's a guy who half-assed his training for the first portion of his career and was winning fights left and right. Now with other fighters catching up to him skill-wise he can't figure out why he isn't still coasting to title wins like he did before.

If he's going to be anything more than a possible contender in the future, he needs to change camps to get away from all of the guys he trains with that idolize him. If he gets to a camp that will push him and make him a better fighter then he can definitely make another run at the 155 title. But after Saturday's beating, it's pretty obvious that he's too undersized for 170.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?   BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it? Empty

Back to top Go down

BJ Penn's future in the UFC or out of it?
Page 1 of 1