The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) Vote_lcapSonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) Voting_barSonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) Vote_lcapSonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) Voting_barSonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22860

Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) Empty
PostSubject: Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video)   Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 11:29 am

Quote :
Chael Sonnen may not have a dog in the fight, but he does have an opinion on the "Spygate" flareup that recently ensnared UFC light-heavyweight No. 1 contender Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and champion Jon Jones.

The opinionated middleweight star believes the situation was mishandled by all parties involved, from fighters to management.

Speaking on Tuesday's edition of The MMA Hour, Sonnen said the whole thing began because of Jackson's victim mentality, calling the "biggest poor-me fighter" out there. While Sonnen acknowledged that it's likely a psychological tactic which allows Jackson to get into the right frame of mind to fight, he also said that he couldn't quite understand it.

"It's silly," he said. "That's why I'm saying this whole thing is ridiculous. Look, I posted my entire training sessions live on the internet at Athletebay.com. The whole world could log in and watch Yushin [Okami] and I spart. Oscar de la Hoya holds open workout sessions. 'Sugar' Ray Leonard did this, 'Iron' Mike Tyson did this. And then some other guys like to be private. Floyd Mayweather won't let you watch him spar. Randy Couture had an open door policy. 'Come on in.' Dan Henderson's got an open-door policy. It's no big deal.

"But it's a mental thing," he continued. "If Rampage wants to be Mr. Private, and that's how he feels better, then let him. Tito [Ortiz] is the same way. Tito doesn't let guys watch him. I don't really get it. What could you possibly learn? A guy's got a couple hands, a couple feet and he's going to use them all in the ring. I don't know. I truly don't know. And if you're opponent wants to worry about you and what you're going to do, then he's not thinking about himself and what what he's going to do, and that's what really matters. So the whole thing was silly, but it was a major opportunity ... and the Jones camp ruined it."

That last assertion stems from Sonnen's belief that Jones and his management lost not one, but two great opportunities that could have resulted from Rampage's belief that a mole had infiltrated his camp. First, he lost the chance to get and stay inside Rampage's head.

"As I understood it, Rampage actually canceled a workout over this whole thing," he said. "He puts out, 'Oh man, my hand's hurt.' This was his way of pulling the mole out. 'Oh, my hand's hurt, I can't work out.' He actually skips the workout to see if that information gets back. It does come back to him. If you're Jon Jones, why would you not keep that going? Why would you possibly stop that?

Secondly, even if it wasn't true that Jones had a spy, the denial doused water on the story's sizzle. Jones' manager Malki Kawa originally denied the accusation by saying, "I promise to God, I have no spy in the camp."

Later, he said Jackson was simply trying to "hype the fight" with the claims. In Sonnen's mind, the extra attention that would have resulted from any prolonged back-and-forth would have meant more eyeballs on the fight, and more dollars. Instead, the dispute was extinguished.

"Look Malki, if you're at all a trustable guy, you don't need to swear on God," Sonnen said. "Just tell him it didn't happen. Unless you have an extremely guilty conscience, and an extremely poor track record, all you need to say is your piece. You don't need to bring God into it, and all these other things.

"And then he breaks the cardinal rule and says Rampage is just hyping a fight," he continued. "Well, gee Malki, if he is, and you're part of that fight, why would you stop him? You stupid son of a ...
source

SONNEN FOR PRESIDENT! cheers
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10315

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video)   Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 1:42 pm

I actually agree with what Sonnen said...he's pretty much right
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4017

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video)   Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 6:41 pm

While I agree with him completely, the idea of Chael Frigging Sonnen calling something ridiculous is, well, ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video)   Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video) Empty

Back to top Go down

Sonnen on Rampage-Jones Spygate: 'This Whole Thing Is Ridiculous' (video)
Page 1 of 1