The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch Vote_lcapDaniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch Voting_barDaniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch Vote_lcapDaniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch Voting_barDaniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10261

Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch Empty
PostSubject: Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch   Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 10:41 am

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/26/7917703/daniel-cormier-alexander-gustafsson-could-be-golden-ticket-to-jon

From the moment Anthony "Rumble" Johnson forced his way into the next shot at Jon Jones' UFC light heavyweight title by running over Alexander Gustafsson on Sunday night, one logical next fight in the light heavyweight division became immediately clear: Gustafsson vs. Daniel Cormier.

Both guys are coming off recent, high-profile losses, and both are on the very short list of competitors fans consider legitimate title challengers at 205 pounds.

The man known as DC understands it, too.

"He's got the biggest name," Cormier said of Gustafsson on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "We're both coming off of a loss. So it would make sense. If that's the case, if they say Daniel, you and Alexander fight, and the winner will get a title shot against Anthony or Jon, then, yes."

Granted, Cormier is not one to pick his battles, saying he's never lobbied the UFC for a specific fight.

"I've never once picked a fight," he said. "UFC has always called me and said, ‘Daniel you're fighting this guy.' when I fought Jon for the belt, I had fought Patrick Cummins and Dan Henderson, but [Cummins] was supposed to be Rashad Evans, my first fight in the division was supposed to be Rashad Evans, so they always tell me. I never turn down a fight. If I was going to turn down any, it would have been Rashad because we're buddies."

Still, at age 35 and with his popularity at an all-time high despite his loss to Jones at UFC 182, Cormier understands that the right opponent is pivotal for his career moving forward.

"It needs to be guy with name recognition," Cormier said. "So where the people say, ‘ok Daniel beat this guy, we need to see him either fight for the championship again, or he's very close. Because to me Alexander and I, realistically, are two guys who could fight for the belt. Once you get past us, and Rashad, they're all rematches. past them who you going to put in the cage with Jon?"

Which brings Cormier back to Gustafsson.

"Maybe the golden ticket is Gustafsson," he said. "Because if Rashad gets Gustafsson, maybe Rashad gets the title shot."
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch   Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 10:59 am

well to be honest who else is there really the UFC can sell right now to fight jones? rumble,gus,dc really are the only names that scream they may have a chance against jones.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35201

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch   Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 11:47 am

There really isn't anyone unless Anderson Silva would have any interest that I'd want to see.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch   Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 1:44 pm

I think this can mean only one thing;
If Jones gets by Johnson, he should/will move up to HW.

The Gustaffson rematch has lost a lot of sparkle, even if Gus fights Cormier and blows through him. Cormier himself- while competitive early on- didn't show anything overly impressive when he fought Jones. Jones handled Rashad pretty easily. Who else is there?

I can't really even think of an up-and-comer who the UFC could realistically market as some kind of "new threat". St. Preux maybe, if he can get another high-profile win?
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch   Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Yeah, he's really cleared it out.
No way I'd want to see Davis or Bader get a shot.

Rockhold and Silva are huge MWs and I would not mind seeing either of those fights.
Who knows, if Wiedman rag dolls Belfort (certainly possible) maybe his ego would want the challenge.

I don't see Jones doing very well at HW, but maybe that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch   Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 pm

Yeah he'd have to beef up a little to be able match strength with the HWs, but his height and reach are probably very comparable to most of them.
I'm pretty positive he'd get buzzsaw'd by Cain, but I can think of quite a few intriguing, high-profile fights for him at HW.
JDS, Struve, Travis Browne, Stipe, just to name a few.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch   Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Joe Silva may have the best fucking job on the planet (that's assuming it's not just a marketing job).
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10261

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch   Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 9:53 am

if jones beats rumble id like to see a rashad rematch id also like to see gegard mousasi fight jones. i know he has been fighting at 185 but there is something about that fight that intrigues me.

id also love to see browne, stipe, big country,brock vs jones
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch   Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch Empty

Back to top Go down

Daniel Cormier: Alexander Gustafsson could be 'golden ticket' to Jon Jones rematch
Page 1 of 1