The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA Vote_lcapFighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA Voting_barFighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA Vote_lcapFighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA Voting_barFighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA

Go down 
+3
Chrom
stock
Triggerman99
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA Empty
PostSubject: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Quote :
Garrett Holeve, a 24-year-old mixed martial arts fighter with Down syndrome, is fighting to make his dreams of stepping into the cage a reality.
“I can [do it]. Don’t mess with me,” Holeve said in an interview with Chris Serico of Today.com. “I’m a blue belt.”
The first fight for Holeve will be held in a court of law against the Florida State Boxing Commission and other organizations impeding his chance to compete.
On August 30, just minutes before the opening bell, the boxing commission cancelled Holeve’s fight against David Steffan, a Special Olympian with cerebral palsy. Mitch Holeve, Garrett’s father, wasn’t too happy about receiving a cease-and-desist letter from the commission barring his son from competing in sanctioned events.
There is already an added layer of rules in place to protect amateur fighters. But while Mitch admits Garrett’s reaction time is slower than most fighters, he believes the commission should have at least allowed his son to compete against Steffan.
“This is a fair match-up. We think that their limitations kind of offset themselves,” Mitch told Serico. “He’s not trying to take on [former UFC welterweight champ] Georges St-Pierre.”
Well, at least that’s what Mitch thinks.
“I want to,” said Garrett.
Despite the “fair match-up” and added layer of rules in amateur fighting, there are still those out there who feel like Mitch is setting a bad example as a father for allowing his son to compete in an actual fight.
There is also the case of responsibility falling back on the commission and whatever promotion hosts Garrett’s fight. No one wants to soil their hands with the repercussions from things potentially going wrong.
Mitch admitted himself that Garrett’s reaction time was slower than most fighters. The time at which a person is able to react is crucial to both safety and success in MMA. What if Garrett lacks the reaction time to properly defend himself from strikes? What if he ate numerous shots and got seriously hurt?
These are all concerns from a general public wincing at the idea of a fighter with Down syndrome possibly competing against another athlete without the same condition.
“They’ve never met my son. If they were in his shoes, and they did anything different, then I think they’d have to deal with the consequences of not doing what he loves to do,” said Mitch.
Garret added, “My dad’s not crazy [for letting me fight]. They’re the ones who are crazy.”
The Holeve family has received support from the National Down Syndrome Society, who recently issued a statement on Garrett’s behalf:

Quote :
Mr. Holeve has been denied his rights to an equal opportunity. Holeve has been training in the competitive sport of mixed martial arts [MMA] for four years. NDSS is teaming up with Garrett and his family along with change.org in launching a petition to allow Garrett to fight in true MMA competitions.
Many MMA trainees seek to fight in official bouts as a natural progression in the sport. Mr. Holeve is no different – he wants to progress in the sport and needs to take the next step and he has tried to take the next step. But despite being qualified to fight an opponent of equal experience and ability, the Florida Boxing Commission, through amateur sanctioning organizations, has prevented Mr. Holeve from taking that next step.

Garrett, who goes by the nickname G-Money, has even earned the support of UFC Hall of Famer Stephan Bonnar, who tweeted the petition a little over a month ago. As of now, more than 111,000 people have signed the Change.org petition against the boxing commission.
Tajiana Ancora-Brown, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, explained to Serico that Holeve’s bout wasn’t canceled because he has Down syndrome.
According to Brown, the Amateur Sanctioning Organization (ASO) hosted the event but elected not to sanction all of the bouts scheduled for the fight card, including the bout between Holeve and Steffan:

Quote :
As a regulatory agency, we take any occurrences of unsanctioned bouts very seriously. Upon becoming aware of the unsanctioned bout, we quickly took action. In fact, the issuance of the Cease and Desist Notice as a result of an unsanctioned bout was not related to individual participants.

With the trial set for December 9, “G-Money” will have to put his dreams on hold for now

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2137756-fighter-with-down-syndrome-petitioning-to-compete-in-mma#articles/2137756-fighter-with-down-syndrome-petitioning-to-compete-in-mma

So, what do you think? Should he or should he not be allowed?
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35201

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Fuck yeah, let him fight.
The "slow reaction time" comment is fucking BS. Many people have slower reaction time than successful MMA fighters. Yet there are no rules against letting those people compete.
He goes up the ropes just like anyone else. Let him do an amateaur fight or so and see how he does and then go from there.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 4:30 pm

I don't see why not... Florida won't sanction him? But they sanction trannies?? WTF
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Yeah when I first saw the headline I had my doubts that I'd be OK with it if I'm being totally honest. But when I watched the video it was obvious that he's much more independently functional than a lot of other people with this condition.
I understand the hesitation to sanction him from a safety standpoint, but that's why the sport has these regulations already in place: to protect the fighters. If he's getting his ass whooped too badly and not intelligently defending himself, the ref stops the fight just like he would any other time.
I don't see what extra precautions need to be taken here.
We've all heard of and seen situations in amateur MMA bouts where guys have literally come out of the stands to jump in there and compete. Well how the hell do you know whether or not that guy is completely lacking the ability to fight or defend himself in any way whatsoever?
At least this kid has some formal training.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 7:56 am

Chrom wrote:
I don't see why not... Florida won't sanction him? But they sanction trannies?? WTF

That was the first thing to come to my mind as well. Pretty messed up when you think about it.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10314

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 5:04 pm

I'm not a fan.

It was obvious the fighter going against him in his match took it easy. As much as it can be a great morale booster for the kid it can also easily go in the other direction if you get some dude in there that doesn't care and just beats him senseless.

Everyone he went against would have to take it easy on him. I guess I could see allowing a fight with the understanding that his opponent won't go crazy, but to let him full on fight isn't smart IMO.

He's extremely more advanced than most with downs...my uncle with downs lived with us for a couple years and literally had to shave and shower him...so this kid is like night and day, but having said that, he still has downs and his motor skills aren't what his opponents would be. Could be a bad day.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Yeah I'm not 100% sold on it either, but like I said; there's a ref in there, and as long as he does his job, this kid wouldn't be in for any more harm than the next fighter.
With that said, if we're being completely real about this whole thing, and we're talking about this in the interest of absolute equality and giving him the same treatment we would give any other fighter (which is exactly what he wants), then it needs to be pointed out that he's a shitty fighter. From what I saw in that video, he's just awful. He has next to zero technique, and his composure is also seemingly non-existent once the bell rings. Even though he goes to the gym on a regular basis and trains, he looks- for the most part- like he has no fucking clue what he's doing.
I just think it's a little irresponsible to ignore that part of this story.

Do I think he should be allowed to fight? Sure, why the hell not?
But do I believe he's "just like any other MMA fighter who wants to compete" and "shouldn't be looked at or treated any differently"? No way. No way in hell. That's a stupid, dangerous, and recklessly politically correct mindset to have.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 pm

IDk about all that... he looked pretty solid for a guy with no fights under his belt... have you seen how shitty some amateur fighters are? Believe me when I say, he is far from the worst beginning ammy I've seen.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10314

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 8:46 am

I still think everyone around him is taking it easy on him because he has downs...I think that's just the nature of how people deal with someone with an affliction like that, you want them to feel successful, part of the group, a contributing member...so you take it lightly on them but make it appear that you didn't...you're a hero because you allowed him to be confident and succeed, he's happy as all get out because he accomplished something...I get that, it's great. But what happens when some prick DOESN'T get that and thinks I'm gonna go pound this kid with less motor skills than I have and get a W under my belt...and does just that...pounds a kid with downs.

It's just a lose lose situation......unless...as I said previously....everyone agrees to take it lightly on him and never go more than just training speed with him.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5740

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 9:18 am

Whats next ? Blind, one armed, one legged, hermaphrodite, gay Republican teabagger, bi polar sheep rapists?
Naw.... there has to be a line to maintain sanctioned credibility.

Gotta have both arms, both legs, not be retarded, must be able to see.... you know... common sense shit.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Well it's kind of offensive to lump Down Syndrome in with hermaphrodites, gay republican teabaggers, sheep rapists.

With that said, I laughed my balls off.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 1:28 pm

Deaf fighters and folks with dismemberment or missing limbs have already been sanctioned many times... Trannies as well...
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Mick Newell almost just won a WSOF title with one arm!
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5740

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Just asking.... but how much would you pay to see this guy in the ring? Me?... never happen!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 8:38 pm

I would actually pay a fair amount, but, admittedly, for all the wrong reasons.  Neutral 
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16398

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Wait...doesn't bones Jones have a touch of the downs??

Maybe we'd see real "retard strength

OK...sorry bad jokes...all kidding aside I say let him fight...like said above, there would be a ref in there to jump in if there was too much damage being taken....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA   Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA Empty

Back to top Go down

Fighter with Down Syndrome petitioning to compete in MMA
Page 1 of 1