The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) Vote_lcapDid Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) Voting_barDid Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) Vote_lcapDid Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) Voting_barDid Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) Empty
PostSubject: Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion)   Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 1:37 pm

Quote :
Although the social media world was in uproar over the length of time Rousimar Palhares held onto a submission of Steve Carl, World Series of Fighting President Ray Sefo said he has no problem with it.
In fact, Sefo said on Saturday that if one thinks the submission was held for too long, then they should be committed.

“Absolutely not,” Sefo responded to MMAWeekly.com by text message when asked if Palhares held the submission for an unreasonable amount of time. “Whoever thinks that is crazy!!”
Palhares locked on an inverted heel hook in the first round to earn the WSOF welterweight title. In doing so, Carl tapped to the hold, but Palhares did not let go. It wasn’t until referee Yves Lavigne pulled Palhares off his opponent that the hold was released.
Almost immediately after the submission, Twitter was abuzz with people saying Palhares held the lock for too long.

The fighter sparked controversy in the past for holding onto submissions long after his opponents give up. As a result of holding onto a heel hook of Mike Pierce at a UFC fight last October, Palhares received a life ban from the UFC for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Sefo said in December that he would not put up with any of Palhares’ habits once the fighter competed in the WSOF.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ray-sefo-defends-rousimar-palhares-submission-hold-at-wsof-9

Here's a link to a video.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/wsof-9-fight-video-did-rousimar-palhares-hold-on-too-long-with-the-submission

IMO People were probably going to say he held it for too long no matter what happened, but just curious what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16398

PostSubject: Re: Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion)   Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 4:38 pm

Watched it live.....it was fine....if he let go and the ref didn't see that Carl was tapping, then what....unless dude is out you pretty much wait for the ref to stop you....
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion)   Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 5:23 pm

Yeah I agree.
Once he got the leg lock, I was like "Oh shit....here we go!", but he let go of the hold exactly when he was supposed to; when the ref told him to. Sure, he probably could have let it go as soon as Carl tapped (especially given the intensity of the miscroscope he's currently under), but he didn't do anything wrong by holding it until the ref stepped in.
I was actually surprised that there's apparently this big uproar over it. But like I said; there were a shit-ton of fans who were ready and waiting to blow up as soon as it was apparent that a leg lock was coming, and they weren't going to be denied, logic be damned.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10314

PostSubject: Re: Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion)   Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:21 pm

I agree...there wasn't anything suspect about that at all. He let go when the ref told him to.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion)   Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 10:51 am

The only thing I found suspect with the hold. is I noticed when carl was tapping and the ref was coming in to break it up, it looked like he cranked the hold for a nice bit more before the ref could get in there. I don't know maybe I'm looking into nothing but if he was trying to crank that leg more before the ref could get in there and was obviously tapping that could be looked at as a big dick move.

I'm not saying don't hold onto the hold till the ref actually breaks it up but if you have the hold and the dude is tapping why do you need to crank it more? You already won the fight at that point. Some of this could just be from Paul Harris's history with the leg lock holds and he is under more scrutiny for it, which he has no one to blame but himself for that one.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion)   Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Oh I don't disagree at all that the guy has some serious fucking judgment issues. Let's not get it twisted here; if he was any kind of decent and respectable fighter, he should have released the hold when Carl tapped, or at the very least stopped applying pressure. But he technically didn't do anything wrong. I didn't read any of the tweets or anything because I don't subscribe to the twitterverse and I'm not a tweeter or whatever else twit or tweet words you can come up with, but apparently people were going apeshit saying he should be banned or fined or something because he "did it again". Well no, technically he did nothing wrong from a rules standpoint. That's all I'm saying. People just need to take their collective heads out of their asses and think clearly for a second before they get all in a twitter-tizzy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion)   Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion) Empty

Back to top Go down

Did Paul Harris hold the leg lock for too long again? (WSOF 9 discussion)
Page 1 of 1