The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) Vote_lcapRashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) Voting_barRashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) Vote_lcapRashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) Voting_barRashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)

Go down 
+2
Chrom
Triggerman99
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) Empty
PostSubject: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 8:09 pm

Stop me if you've heard this one before.......

Quote :
(Insert ‘Sigh’ here.)
The injury bug has taken out next week’s UFC 170 co-main event between Rashad Evans and Daniel Cormier.
UFC officials announced the bouts cancellation just moments ago via the official UFC website:
A leg injury has forced former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans out of his UFC 170 co-main event bout with Daniel Cormier on February 22 in Las Vegas.
With the event date rapidly approaching, there will be no replacement fight, and the card – headlined by the UFC women’s bantamweight championship match between Ronda Rousey and Sara McMann – will continue with 10 bouts.

On a different note, the UFC’s go-to replacement fighter, Chael Sonnen has offered up his services on just 10-days notice.
Chael took to twitter with the following message:

@dc_mma ya know I haven’t been crazy about you attitude as of late. Daddy ain’t ready, but he’s ready enough. Feb 22 just say my name…

http://www.bjpenn.com/evans-out-of-cormier-bout-with-injury-sonnen-offers-to-fight-on-10-days-notice/
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 8:48 am

Fuckin Rashad!
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 3:48 pm

BIG NEWS! Rashad Evans is out of UFC 170 but Daniel Cormier has a new opponent.
Meet Patrick Cummins, All-American wrestler with an undefeated pro MMA record:
VIDEO: http://at.ufc.com/qhDf
Story: http://at.ufc.com/qhDg

Here is the dudes record....
4-0 all 1st round finishes....

Last 2 Opponents & Their Records.......
Ricky Pulu
0-3
and most recently
Willie Smalls
You ready for this!?
5-15!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 5:11 pm

What's the betting line for this fight now?
I'm putting $1 in Standard Cash on this guy, and I'm gonna be fucking rich when he pulls off the upset!
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 5:45 pm

His first Pro fight
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 6:04 pm

All I saw was a long ass Chevy commercial.

edit: Nevermind, it worked the 2nd time.

I hope his hands have improved since then.
Other than that, he looks pretty competent once the fight hits the ground, and his GnP is pretty tenacious and accurate. If he can somehow get Cormier down, we may see an actual fight. That's a ridonkulously huge "IF", though.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 6:46 pm

In his second most recent fight he gets a little rocked by some real sloppy shit, but then gets the takedown and its all over after that.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Seriously?
That guy looks like he washes dishes at Cracker Barrel. What the fuck was he even doing in there?
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 8:06 pm

There's actually a pretty funny/interesting story about how Cummins actually got this fight with Cormier.

Quote :

LAS VEGAS — On Wednesday afternoon, Dana White was informed that Rashad Evans, who was scheduled to compete next week at UFC 170 against Daniel Cormier, had injured his knee.
Evans was scheduled for an MRI to assess the extent of the damage. Evans said he still wanted to fight and felt like he could compete against Cormier.
White and his staff waited for the results to come back. Later that night, White was attending his son's basketball game when he got the call: Evans was out of the fight, but he would only be out for four weeks.
Cormier was informed of the injury, and he was upset. He told White he had to fight.
"This whole cutting weight thing was hard on him," White said during a media lunch today.

White said the weight came off easily, but that Cormier was upset that he put all the work in and wasn't going to get to fight. White told Cormier that Evans was only supposed to be out for four weeks and that he wanted to put Cormier on the UFC 172 card in Baltimore in April.
"I was keeping my options open. I was thinking light heavyweight tournament," White said.
"I don't want to fight in Baltimore," Cormier said. "I need to fight."
"There's nothing I can do, man," White responded. "Plus, nobody is going to fight you on a week's notice."
Cormier called White twice during the game, pleading for something to be done. But White went to bed on Tuesday night believing he was powerless to help Cormier out.

When White woke up on Thursday morning, he heard about a Twitter petition for Patrick Cummins to get the fight against Cormier. Cummins, an undefeated former collegiate All-American wrestler, had publicly said on Twitter that he would be glad to fight Cormier.
White found out the details on Cummins. He liked what he heard, especially when Cummins' manager told White what Cummins said: When Cummins and Cormier used to train together, he claimed, he often made Cormier cry. He broke him.
White was intrigued. And so Cummins' manager, Ryan Parsons, was asked to get Cummins on the phone. White wanted to know if the story was true, and he wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth. Cummins didn't answer White's calls because he was at work at a coffee shop in Dana Point, California.
Parsons drove to the coffee shop and walked in. He told the manager on duty that he needed to speak to Cummins.
"He's working," the manager responded. "He can't talk right now. You're going to have to leave."
And so Parsons got back in his car and went to the drive-through window, where Cummins was working his shift.
"Hey, I need to talk to you," Parsons said. "I need to get you on the phone so you can talk to Dana."
Parsons gave Cummins the phone. White asked him about his comments claiming he could make Cormier cry.
"I'm telling you right now," Cummins said. "I made Cormier cry every time we wrestled. I broke him every time. And I'll beat him on Saturday night."
White was interested. But Cummins continued.
"Well, I hope I get this fight," he said. "Because they just fired me."
Cummins' manager had fired him for taking the phone call while on shift.
"You tell your manager to go f--k himself," White told Cummins. "Head to the gym right now. We'll call you in a little while."
White then called Cormier and told him he had the fight against Cummins.
"I know that guy," Cormier said with a laugh. White relayed what Cummins told him about making him cry and breaking him during wrestling.

Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) Hi-res-3f3a708b9e8cd3e2bc1ce4904f8fe055_crop_exact

"First of all, if anything like that ever really happened, it was because guys were cycling in on me," Cormier told White. "I wasn't wrestling just one guy. I was training for the world championships and they were cycling guys in on me.
"If he ever beat me, and if any of this is remotely true, he did it in some obscure wrestling room out in the middle of nowhere where three people saw it. I'm going to whip his ass on the biggest stage on earth on Saturday night."
And that's how Patrick Cummins, long considered one of the best light heavyweight prospects in the world, finally got his shot at the UFC

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1959800-patrick-cummins-how-an-unknown-fighter-got-the-chance-of-a-lifetime#articles/1959800-patrick-cummins-how-an-unknown-fighter-got-the-chance-of-a-lifetime
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5740

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 1:19 am

Heh perfect Cinderella story... I wanna see Danny cry! Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5740

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 2:09 pm

On the other hand... Chael would kick Cormier's ass. What a Face 
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35201

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Man, that would be great if he somehow beat Cormier and then told the coffee shop manager to fuck himself during the post fight interview.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 4:48 pm

LOL
And you know Rogan would definitely ask him about it to instigate a response.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 am

I would love to see this guy get past DC but to be honest his 2 fights weren't very impressive at all and what makes that whole thing worse is those guys he beat probably wouldn't even be sparring partners for most of the UFC roster. To be honest maybe im wrong on this but I really don't think this guy is even close to top ten IMO and may never even see the top ten. I think DC is gonna either ride him out for a UD or he will catch this guy with a hook and drop him. Either way I wouldn't give this guy much of a chance with a full training camp and now has to fight DC on what 10 days notice? This is one of those fights were DC has nothing to gain but everything to lose.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Agree. Cummins was a great college wrestler but he WAS NOWHERE NEAR THE LEVEL OF CORMIER. Also, the crying comments are just a bunch of bullshit. World team members train to get broken by wrestling half a dozen much lesser guys in cycles.
This is no different than when I used to be into MMA. When guys were training for a fight or a grappling match, it was common practice to constantly cycle fresh guys in every 3 minutes until the guy tapped. It doesn't mean anything when the worst guy at your gym subs or takes down the best guy.

I know Dana needs a story to pump up this fight, but it's all a non-issue and Cummins will never be in this fight.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 2:22 pm

Well yeah, I mean does anybody really think this guy is going to win? I think it's pretty much universally figured that he has no chance in hell. It would just be really, reeeeeally funny if he did.

As far as the crying thing, I read somewhere (sorry, can't remember where) that what actually happened was that it was during Cormier's training for the Olympics. What I read was Cormier's own account of what happened, and he admitted that yes; Cummins did in fact beat him in a training session. Cormier said OK, fine, let's go again, but the coach- trying to instill a sense of reality and urgency into the training- said "Nope. Sorry, but you just lost your Olympic match and it's all over". So Cormier, being of the same mindset as his coach in that this was the Olympics and he just lost, then left the room and began crying.

So Cummins really did in fact beat him and make him cry, just not in the kicked-his-ass-all-over-the-place-until-he-broke-him sense.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 10:28 am

And he was also being cycled in on with fresh opponents over and over again (which is not uncommon). The point is to break everyone down.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 9:33 am

Triggerman99 wrote:
Well yeah, I mean does anybody really think this guy is going to win? I think it's pretty much universally figured that he has no chance in hell. It would just be really, reeeeeally funny if he did.

As far as the crying thing, I read somewhere (sorry, can't remember where) that what actually happened was that it was during Cormier's training for the Olympics. What I read was Cormier's own account of what happened, and he admitted that yes; Cummins did in fact beat him in a training session. Cormier said OK, fine, let's go again, but the coach- trying to instill a sense of reality and urgency into the training- said "Nope. Sorry, but you just lost your Olympic match and it's all over". So Cormier, being of the same mindset as his coach in that this was the Olympics and he just lost, then left the room and began crying.

So Cummins really did in fact beat him and make him cry, just not in the kicked-his-ass-all-over-the-place-until-he-broke-him sense.

I heard the same thing.

After Saturday night I think Mr Cummins ought to practice up on his coffee serving...
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 9:38 am

He has been guaranteed another fight, so he should be ok for at least a few months.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 10:06 am

Chrom wrote:
He has been guaranteed another fight, so he should be ok for at least a few months.

I'm actually happy to hear that. was the guy impressive? no not at all but I also think it's not to fair to judge a guy on one fight that he took on 10 days notice. I mean look at how uneventful Weidman and maia was. Weidman looked very unimpressive in that fight but also took the fight on 8 days and now look at where he is. the top of the food chain. (for now)
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 10:17 am

Yeah im cool with the dude getting another fight since he got fired from his job and took the fight on short notice.

But, he did act like a dickhead throughout so I will be rooting against him lol
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 pm

I didn't see the fight, but from what I have heard, he definitely did not belong in there with Cormier, short notice or not.
Give him a mid-level guy for his next fight and see how he hangs, like Igor Pokrajac or Rafael Cavalcante.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)   Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen) Empty

Back to top Go down

Rashad Evans injured and out of UFC 170 fight with Daniel Cormier. Chael Sonnen offers to step in (though not likely to happen)
Page 1 of 1