The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters Vote_lcapStrikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters Voting_barStrikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters Vote_lcapStrikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters Voting_barStrikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters

Go down 
+3
Gecko
FistK
Chrom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22850

Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters Empty
PostSubject: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters Strike10
Quote :
OKLAHOMA CITY -- The sun will set on Strikeforce as a mixed martial arts promotion in the heart of cowboy country.

The longtime second fiddle to the Ultimate Fighting Championship will shut down after Saturday'sStrikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedineevent at Chesapeake Energy Center (Showtime, 10 p.m. ET/PT).

Though that wasn't made official until December, the writing had been on the wall for months following a pair of canceled events and rumors about its future.

But the four fighters headlining the promotion's swan song aren't looking at their fates as glass half-empty. Each has motivation to win in order to seal the deal with a future in the UFC.

Welterweight champion Nate Marquardt (32-10-2 MMA, 1-0 SF) headlines against challenger Tarec Saffiedine (13-3, 5-1). With a win, Marquardt likely will be back in the promotion that cut him loose 18 months ago. But he's trying to keep that out of the equation.

"All I've got to do is go in there and knock this guy out, and everything else will take care of itself," Marquardt says.

Most of the fighters on Saturday's card have been given no guarantees they'll be folded into the UFC. However, victories would seem to make their paths much smoother, and that's what Saffiedine has in mind.

"I'm just focused on winning the fight," he says. "That's what I train for. That's what I'm here for. I want that belt, I want to win, and I want to put on a last exciting fight for Strikeforce."

Daniel Cormier (10-0, 7-0) is the one near-certainty to be in the UFC after Saturday.

While the heavyweight refuses to look past heavy underdog Dion Staring (28-7, 0-0), he has a clear idea about what he'd like to do once he migrates to UFC. He wants to fight original opponent Frank Mir atUFC on FOX 7on April 20 in his home training ground of San Jose, Calif.

"Frank said he'd like to fight me, and I'm saying, 'OK, let's do it in San Jose on FOX,'

" Cormier says.

Not much is expected for Staring, given that Cormier opened as a 20-1 favorite. Few U.S. fans have heard of the Dutchman, who's a longtime training partner of UFC contender Alistair Overeem.

He plans on changing that.
continued...
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12610

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 9:43 am

If true Mr Marquardt your audition was a flop...

Last edited by FistK on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 10:23 am

A complete flop!
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15324

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 11:17 am

who thinks Dana will let Barnett back in the UFC?
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35192

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 11:47 am

I think he'd let him back in.
However, not sure Barnett would accept the offer.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 12:44 pm

IDK the way Barnett was WWEing it up leads me to think he may be going that route.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5731

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Barnett would suck whatever appendage Dana wanted him to suck to get a few fights in the UFC. But as usual it would be three losses and out.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Looks like Melendez and Cormier already have a UFC fight lined up.
I like both the matchups.

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2013/0115/552623/benson-henderson/
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7959

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

from watching this last event i must say that the ones i think will have the most impact are Cormier and Jacare. and im becoming a fan of Cormier, he seems like an honest, forward guy, and not dumb either. cant wait to see what he will do.
jacare will be a force, his stand up is improving and his jits is awesome. physical beast too.
I dont know about gay guard tho. i like him but he just always looks he is walking the thin line between winning and losing. hopefully he does well
barnett seems one dimentiona but still could creat problems for a lot of fighters. before he gets caught doping again
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7959

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

and war melendez against benson! i dont want to hear god being thanked for beating the shit out of people again. unless melendez does the same, i dont know.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:13 am

Agree about Jacare. He looked great for that fight and his shots looked solid and strong.
Short Fuse is nowhere near the top 10, but he's also a solid fighter who will not lay down for anyone. And Jacare made that look like a walk in the park.

Also, why was the Jacare/Herman fight a catchweight of 193 pounds?
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10305

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:51 am

Jacare's submission looked so smooth and easy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters   Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters Empty

Back to top Go down

Strikeforce's finale a UFC audition for most fighters
Page 1 of 1