The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' Vote_lcapBisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' Voting_barBisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' Vote_lcapBisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' Voting_barBisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope'

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' Empty
PostSubject: Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope'   Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' 1-20
Quote :
"Listen, I've done things over the years that maybe have annoyed people, but I think I was being looked over, but I think that's fallen by the wayside now. I think I proved a lot of people wrong in the Chael Sonnen fight. I was a 4 to 1 underdog and that was a controversial decision. I had a good win over Brian Stann. I think if anyone was to overlook me now, or not to give me the credit I deserve, I think they'd be foolish. That'd be their downfall. I think generally now, the consensus is I'm one of the best and I don't think I get overlooked now," Bisping stated. "I think I've positioned myself as the number one contender really. I mean, I know Chris Weidman's in there and he wants his shot, but he's got to fight Tim Boetsch and he's got to beat Tim Boestch. And also, he's only got two decent wins. Other than that, I never heard of Chris Weidman a year ago. I think after Saturday night I put myself in line for a title shot pretty soon."

But, the burning question in middleweight division still remains. Who will be the next 185 contender to get a shot a UFC Middleweight Champ Anderson Silva?

"We'll have to wait and see what the UFC wants to do. I will be calling Dana and the UFC tomorrow just to see where we're up to and what's going on. I know Anderson's fighting Stephan Bonnar. I don't want to wait on the sidelines for a long time. I want to fight as much as possible. I would have no problems taking a fight in the meantime – whether it's Alan Belcher, Chris Weidman, I don't care who it is I'm confident in my skill set. I'm confident I can beat guys."

With a possible superfight between GSP and Silva looming over both the welterweight and middleweight divisions, Bisping explained there were many factors that could play in to that fight not coming to fruition. "I don't think that's a guaranteed fight…"I hope not for my own sake, so that when I get my own shot," Bisping said. "As I say, I'm confident in my ability now. I think I've solidfied and cemented myself as one of the top middleweights in the world. I've got no problem continuing to fight guys and beat them. If I continue to do that and beat guys, I will get my shot. That's only a matter of time. I'm not in any rush. Yes, I'd like to fight [Silva] for a shot in a couple of weeks, but if I've got to wait a year, six months, two years, I'm going nowhere. I'm going to continue training, I'm going to continue improving and doing what I do. So, I'm not bothered when it comes."

If Bisping does have to take on the winner of Chris Weidman vs Tim Boetsch in a title eliminator, Bisping spoke on the possibility that perennial underdog, Boetsch, pulls off the upset. "There's definitely a possibility that Boetsch could upset Weidman. I'd say Weidman has the more polished skill set, but Boetsch is no slouch, he's no pushover."

When it came to Weidman, Bisping made it clear that he still finds no reason for all the Chris Weidman hype. NCAA wrestler Weidman is 9-0 in his MMA career. With 5 consecutive UFC wins to his name, Weidman's been pushing for a title shot of his own. "I'm not sold on Chris Weidman. I don't see what all the fuss is with Chris Weidman. I've got nothing against the guy. He beat Demian Maia in the candidate for the worst fight of the year, a lot of people are forgetting that. He looked decent against Mark Munoz, but Mark Munoz looked terrible and I was never sold on him in the first place. So I think everyone in all due respect just needs to calm down Chris Weidman just because he's undefeated. He's undefeated because he's beaten a bunch of bums. He's only had about seven fights. I've had nearly 30 fights. I've been in the UFC when he was still in school probably. So I got nothing against Chris Weidman, but I don't see him as the Great White Hope that's going to come in and destroy Anderson Silva. He's just another middle of the road UFC fighter as far as I'm concerned."
source
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5930

PostSubject: Re: Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope'   Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Bisping had a great showing against Stann, and I am well know as Anti-Bisping;
other than that he won the fight agaisnt Stann imo.

- He lost to Chael out right, no controversy there.
- He call Mark Munoz a bum>?, Bisping should fight Munoz and see whats up.
- Look at Bisping's last 7 fights, who has he fought of any merit? Seriously?

Lost to Chael and Wandi, beat Mayhem? Rivera?

He needs to fight at least one more top contender before getting a title shot in my opinion,
but a guy can't go around calling other fighters bums when he hasn't beaten any top guys.

That being said I think Stann is the toughest MW he has faced thus far, other than his
controversial win over Matt Hamill.

The guy has pillow hands, Rogan and Goldberg were going on about how he has the most substantial stirkes landed in UFC history; of course he does, he rarely finishes fights; and when he does it is against sub par competition, has not finished any big names.

Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15331

PostSubject: Re: Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope'   Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:41 pm

^^^^^^^^

he handly beat sexy akiama, Belcher didnt even beat him and is looked at as a contender himself. But the guy is 14-4 in the UFC in those terms i think he has a much higher claim to a title shot than Weidman does at the moment. Bisping went 4-0 and probably would have been 5-0 if the bisping /maia match was still on and he still wasnt looked at out right for a title shot. I still felt bisping did beat chael but any ways Bisping is 5-1 in his last 6 fights.so how does weidman being 5-0 garurrentie him anything? besides higher competition.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope'   Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Bisping VS Weidman solves the issue for who fights Silva ... if he hasn't retired by the time they get to him.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35199

PostSubject: Re: Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope'   Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 3:34 pm

I like how Bisping just wants to fight, and is not worried about losing a fight that could eliminate him from a title shot. Not sure why other fighters don't have this mentality.

It looks like there will be plenty of time before Silva deffends his title again. Although, I guess he could KO Bonnar in 20 seconds and be ready to fight again.

Seems like Bisping vs Weidman/Boetch for the next title shot would make me happy.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope'   Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 3:37 pm

^^
Truth..(Krieger)

How can you possibly disregard the caliber of a fighters competition who he has beaten for quantity of wins over lesser skilled/ranked fighters.

I think any of these guys pose serious threats to Bisping myself,
Belcher, Boetch, Munoz and definitely Weidman.

Not to out right say any one of them is more deserving of a title shot than Bisping or
one another; just think there has to be a number one contender fight once the Silva Bonnar
fight is done. If Silva mows through him like he did forrest he'll be ready to fight again in 3-6 months baring injury.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope'   Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 3:38 pm

I completely agree with Stock, and not cause we make similar points. Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope'   Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope' Empty

Back to top Go down

Bisping: Weidman Not The 'Great White Hope'
Page 1 of 1