The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_lcapUFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* Voting_barUFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_lcapUFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* Voting_barUFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*

Go down 
+4
Berserk
Snake Five
ChokingVictim
Triggerman99
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59402

UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* Empty
PostSubject: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 12:46 am

So..... not to be that guy who says "I say nay!!!!!", but, did anyone else think that the main event went from totally awesome to totally pathetic in a hurry?

Rogan was trying to pawn this off as one of "The Greatest Fights in UFC History!", and though it was a pretty good fight, it wasn't front to back a supreme fight.

If you would've asked me after round 3 if this was a timeless fight, worth a spot in the archives of classic fights, I would've said fuck yes. But rounds four- and especially 5- were particularly pathetic. If either of these guys got taken into deep, later round water by any top-5 UFC LHW, they would've been put awy in embarassing fashion. If Shogun had any semblance of gas left in the tank, he would have easily defeated Hendo by TKO. Not by punishment, but by Hendo just falling asleep. On the other hand, If Hendo could muster any sort of offense in the last 2 rounds, he would have clobbered Shogun into a TKO.

What started as a great fight ended in an embarassing display of what happens when your cardio is well below par. They looked like a couple of out of shape heavyweights. I can see why Hendo, at 41, would have cardio issues. But Shogun? Come on man! This is not the first time this has been as issue for you.....
Back to top Go down
ChokingVictim
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
ChokingVictim

Standard Cash : 5669

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 9:42 am

I just got home and watched it. I got about 10 texts last night saying how amazing it was and that it was close and I read Dana White said he thought it was a draw. I feel like I didnt watch the same fight. Henderson did by far the most damage and landed the best shots in that fight, He even almost had the choke in the fourth and had brief crucifix position. Shoguns best flurry was late in the 4th round and I thought he took the last 2 rounds but I had Dan winning this 3-2, he definately won the first 3 and had the 4th until he gassed out and Shogun took over the fight.

Pathetic in the hurry, absolutely dont think so.

Shoguns chin is unbelievable.

The fourth round was amazing, so much happened I dunno how you could be dissapointed in that and call it embarrassing.

The fifth Shogun just controlled him on the ground and did some decent damage and got mount twice and obviously won the round, Dan was exhausted but Shogun looked tired but not embarrasingly tired, again this is an absolute war, how fresh could you expect Rua to look in the fifth after taking that kinda damage. Dan gassed himself for good goin for that choke in the fourth. It was all Shogun from that pojnt on.

The amount of punishment Shogun took I wouldnt expect him to be hopping around in the later rounds, and Hendo paced himself nicely I thought and faded late in the fourth and was spent in the 5th. Most of the LHW division could not take those shots from Hendo and survive into the later rounds and than come back in the 4th and 5th like Rua did and actually make it closer. one of the best ever possibly but definately great and an amazing main event. Wish I could have saw it live
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3741

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 3:12 pm

I thought it was a great fight ,but it dissapoints me that Hendo's got nothing off his back.

Le-Silva was good ,but Le kind of came in pudgy I like Le ,but I think he just came into the sport too old.

Faber destroyed Bowles and I guess is getting another title shot at Dominic Cruz.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 4:08 pm

I don't know, I didn't see anything resembling "amazing" going on in the fourth round. Those last two rounds looked like they were in slow motion. I don't think either guy did anything in the 5th that could qualify as damage. Just because there were punches thrown doesn't mean there was damage being done. There was no velocity or power behind any strike at that point in the fight. Henderson had to be caried out of the cage.

I knw Shogun took some punishment early on, but that doesn't change the fact that this fight was just plain ugly in the last two rounds. If this was any two fighters other than these former Pride stars and fan favorites, people would be laughing be at them today for how gassed they were. If it were Roy Nelson and Frank Mir and they gassed out that, Dana would be telling them to get into better shape and people would be on these boards telling them to shape up or ship out.
Oh wait....... that did happen! I know that fight was only 3 rounds, but it still proves that these guys are getting a pass based on past merit.

Oh well, like I said; I don't wanna be "that guy", so I'll just say that the first 3 rounds were awesome, and I gotta give Shogun credit for not wilting after that barrage. He showed good heart there.
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

Standard Cash : 28578

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 4:40 pm

I still have yet to see the fight, I've been trying to find it online since I got home late last night and so far nothing.... I did watch the Wandy fight and that made me happy Smile
Back to top Go down
Dremora
Training Dummy
Training Dummy

Standard Cash : 4661

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 5:07 pm

I thought it was a draw, I thought Shogun won the last round 10-8...Hendo got taken down and then offered nothing.

Great fight, I enjoyed it all. Hendo was obviously in worse shape in the last 2 rounds but thats only because he went for the kill earlier on and tired himself out. 9 times out of 10 Hendo would have ended the fight in the 3rd with them shots.

I dont think either of them deserved to lose that fight.
Back to top Go down
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7664

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 6:30 pm

I personally enjoyed the fight. Yes rounds 4 and 5 were as if it was in slow motion.. but did you really expect Shogun to be fresh and a full tank of gas when he basically lost the 3rd round in devestating fashion...??

A) If it was any other ref, the fight would have been over in the 3rd...
B) If it was any other fighter (except Frankie Edgar lol Razz ) the fight would have been over in the 3rd.

Shogun truly has one of the best hearts in MMA period! Anybody else would have stopped in the 3rd or quit on the stool ( a la *Leben/BJ Penn).

*(Well Chris had a bad weight cut so that's a bad example).

I personally scored the fight a draw.

R1: 10-9 Hendo
R2: 10-9 Hendo
R3: 10-9 Hendo
R4: 10-9 Sho
R5: 10-8 Sho

47-47

Hendo should have had better cardio for not being too damaged... so he could have finished but.....
Back to top Go down
Zacchaeus
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Zacchaeus

Standard Cash : 5356

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Dremora wrote:
I thought it was a draw, I thought Shogun won the last round 10-8...Hendo got taken down and then offered nothing.

Great fight, I enjoyed it all. Hendo was obviously in worse shape in the last 2 rounds but thats only because he went for the kill earlier on and tired himself out. 9 times out of 10 Hendo would have ended the fight in the 3rd with them shots.

I dont think either of them deserved to lose that fight.

Yeah, I completely expected it to be a draw. I was pretty shocked that they didn't give Shogun a 10-8 in round 5. I guess Henderson defended well enough for the judges.

To be honest this fight would have been seen as one of the best fights of all time had the UFC not changed their main event rules. I don't think that will really come back to bite them in the ass on this one, because it was a damn good fight regardless, but had it just been a 3 round fight people would have been just as entertained. Plus Hendo would have walked away with a more convincing victory.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:19 am

Agreed.
It would have been a great 3 round fight.

A 5 round fight?

Kind of lame...
Back to top Go down
ChokingVictim
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
ChokingVictim

Standard Cash : 5669

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:18 am

you guys are nuts haha

I loved the fourth round
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5881

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 am

ChokingVictim wrote:
I just got home and watched it. I got about 10 texts last night saying how amazing it was and that it was close and I read Dana White said he thought it was a draw. I feel like I didnt watch the same fight. Henderson did by far the most damage and landed the best shots in that fight, He even almost had the choke in the fourth and had brief crucifix position. Shoguns best flurry was late in the 4th round and I thought he took the last 2 rounds but I had Dan winning this 3-2, he definately won the first 3 and had the 4th until he gassed out and Shogun took over the fight.

Pathetic in the hurry, absolutely dont think so.

Shoguns chin is unbelievable.

The fourth round was amazing, so much happened I dunno how you could be dissapointed in that and call it embarrassing.

The fifth Shogun just controlled him on the ground and did some decent damage and got mount twice and obviously won the round, Dan was exhausted but Shogun looked tired but not embarrasingly tired, again this is an absolute war, how fresh could you expect Rua to look in the fifth after taking that kinda damage. Dan gassed himself for good goin for that choke in the fourth. It was all Shogun from that pojnt on.

The amount of punishment Shogun took I wouldnt expect him to be hopping around in the later rounds, and Hendo paced himself nicely I thought and faded late in the fourth and was spent in the 5th. Most of the LHW division could not take those shots from Hendo and survive into the later rounds and than come back in the 4th and 5th like Rua did and actually make it closer. one of the best ever possibly but definately great and an amazing main event. Wish I could have saw it live

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Spot on man, I couldn't agree more.
This fight was epic to say the least, and yeah would have made an excellent 3 round fight;
however being 5 rounds gave Shogun the chance to come back somewhat.

If we're throwing around 10 -8 rounds I had the fight:
10 - 9 Hendo
10 - 9 Hendo
10 - 8 Hendo
10 - 9 Shogun
10 - 8 Shogun (Shogun got mount 5 or 6 times.

47 - 46 Hendo

and if were throwing out 10 - 9's I had it 48 - 47 Hendo;
much like everyone else.

I don't see how it could have been a draw, the damage done in the 3rd by Dan was huge and I had it as a 10 -8 originally. Great fight all around!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:35 pm

I don't see how Dan could have possibly lost the fight. He definitely would have been finished in the 5th if Shogun wasn't on life support, but he did enough prior to that to comfortably win a decision IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers* Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson Post Fight Discussion *Spoilers*
Page 1 of 1