The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 Vote_lcapAnderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 Voting_barAnderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 Vote_lcapAnderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 Voting_barAnderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6

Go down 
+2
Krieger
Chrom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22807

Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 Empty
PostSubject: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Quote :
Middleweight contender Chris Weidman has been actively lobbying for a title shot against middleweight champion Anderson Silva, and it looks like he just might get that chance.

All we need now is an official UFC announcement.

In advance of that usual matchmaking formality, Newsday Sports' Mark La Monica has confirmed the bout via Twitter by way of UFC chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta:

That report was also confirmed by MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani not long afterward, with the specific date targeted for July 6:

Out of a long line of potential contenders, Weidman is effectively the last man standing for Silva, despite his relatively light MMA record and recent string of injuries.

In just the past six months alone, the undefeated NCAA All-American wrestler has endured both an elbow surgery (via MMA Fighting) and a shoulder surgery (via MMA Junkie), keeping him from the Octagon for several months.

By the time Weidman steps into the Octagon to face Silva, he'll be facing a little under a year of ring rust, while Silva will be relatively fresher after his UFC 153 bout last October.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1556025-anderson-silva-vs-chris-weidman-title-fight-agreed-for-ufc-event-on-july-6

ABOUT DAMN TIME! cheers This fight is gonna be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5688

Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Weidman lost because of his bad elbow.

Weidman lost because of his bad shoulder.

Weidman lost because of his ring rust.

Weidman lost because Silva was fresher.

Weidman lost because of the officiating.

Weidman lost because of his lack of experience.

Heh .... just trying out all of the different excuses the Nuthuggers are going to trot out when Weidman gets his ass handed to him.

Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10262

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 1:09 pm

I can't wait for the fight just so we can move on and get to a real contendor. That is all thank you.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59401

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Krieger wrote:
Weidman lost because of his bad elbow.

Weidman lost because of his bad shoulder.

Weidman lost because of his ring rust.

Weidman lost because Silva was fresher.

Weidman lost because of the officiating.

Weidman lost because of his lack of experience.

Heh .... just trying out all of the different excuses the Nuthuggers are going to trot out when Weidman gets his ass handed to him.

There's a few more. Let's see here;

Weidman lost because he slipped during that one TD attempt in the first round.

Weidman lost because Silva sort-of-but-not-really grabbed his shorts for an 8th of a second.

And let's not forget the always popular "Silva may have won, but Weidman ________, so that's why he would win a rematch".

-just got sloppy when Silva submitted him

-still looked fresh after Silva KO'd him

-was actually just distracted by a butterfly when Silva KO'd him

Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12567

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Looking forward to the fight.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Open up and say awe boys.
Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 30080210
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Hey, I never said he can't or won't win. That's a dumb thing to say. This is a fight after all.

But every single time Silva beats his opponent, there's always the inevitable "yeah but" or "woulda coulda shoulda" that gets spewed out and repeated endlessly by his detractors to the point where it's actually humorous in it's desperation to somehow cheapen the victory or salvage some hope that in a weird, fucked-up way, Silva actually symbolically lost somehow.

If Silva wins, it will be no different this time. It's so predictable at this point that it's just plain sad.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 3:36 pm

I found a fun new game to play... you are likely a vet though...
Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 Fcgofy10
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 3:53 pm

^^^
It's not jumping to conclusions if it has already happened.....

over

and over

and over

and over......

Care to check the archives now for proof, or should we just go ahead and wait until it happens again?
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12567

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 am

Triggerman99 wrote:
Hey, I never said he can't or won't win. That's a dumb thing to say. This is a fight after all.

But every single time Silva beats his opponent, there's always the inevitable "yeah but" or "woulda coulda shoulda" that gets spewed out and repeated endlessly by his detractors to the point where it's actually humorous in it's desperation to somehow cheapen the victory or salvage some hope that in a weird, fucked-up way, Silva actually symbolically lost somehow.

If Silva wins, it will be no different this time. It's so predictable at this point that it's just plain sad.

I like Silva a lot. He may be one of my all-time favorite fighters to watch so I definitely dont think I have ever done that, BUT I do have to admit when he KO'd Belfort with that kick so early I felt sooo unsatisfied...lol
Don't get me wrong it was awesome, it was legit, and I have nothing bad to say and am definitely not making excuses. I just really wanted to see them fight. I wanted to know what would happen if they went at it for a bit. I would of been thrilled if Silva landed that kick in the 3rd round, so its not a "Belfort would of kicked his ass thing" because ultimately I still think Anderson would win 9 times out of 10, but I felt kind of cheated for some strange reason out of a fight I had really wanted to see.
I have never really been able to figure out why I feel this way, because many fights end quickly.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15281

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 7:37 am

I think i am going to have to go with one of triggs views here. i think weidman will see butterflys but it will be after weidman slipped on a takedown and ate a front snap kick to the head. Then weidman will wake up feeling freash and with his first question being "did steven segal teach him that move?"
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10262

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 8:59 am

FistK...you suffered from the "Miketysonfight sydrome"...pay $59 for a PPV event, the bout begins, you think you have 22 seconds to get a beer and when you get back the ref is standing over the guy waving his arms....

This disease was quite a problem in the 80's...it crippled many folks...
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:01 pm

FistK wrote:
Triggerman99 wrote:

I like Silva a lot. He may be one of my all-time favorite fighters to watch so I definitely dont think I have ever done that, BUT I do have to admit when he KO'd Belfort with that kick so early I felt sooo unsatisfied...lol
Don't get me wrong it was awesome, it was legit, and I have nothing bad to say and am definitely not making excuses. I just really wanted to see them fight. I wanted to know what would happen if they went at it for a bit. I would of been thrilled if Silva landed that kick in the 3rd round, so its not a "Belfort would of kicked his ass thing" because ultimately I still think Anderson would win 9 times out of 10, but I felt kind of cheated for some strange reason out of a fight I had really wanted to see.
I have never really been able to figure out why I feel this way, because many fights end quickly.
Yeah that's totally different from what I was referring to. And yes, I'm with you 100% on that. I hope Vitor gets a fight with Silva again someday, because the recipe for a pretty good fight is still there, regardless of the outcome of the first fight. Just look at BJ vs Uno.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6   Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman Title Fight Agreed for UFC Event on July 6
Page 1 of 1