The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! Vote_lcapI'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! Voting_barI'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! Vote_lcapI'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! Voting_barI'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10284

I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! Empty
PostSubject: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:34 pm

About 18 or 19 years ago me and a couple buddies tried to get a Misfits cover band together...we recoreded a few covers and put them on cassette and posted a bunch of flyers around campus looking for a permanent drummer...it never took off though.

At any rate, my buddy who was gonna play bass has been in a band now for several years and he and his band invited me to do guest vocals for a Misfits/Danzig tribute night in November!

I'm honored that they invited me to be the lead spot...but damn I'm nervous! I haven't listened to the fits or danzig for YEARS...plus now I'm like the older fat glenn.

So I'm stoked, but nervous at the same time!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59423

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 2:03 pm

That's cool!
Better late than never, right?

If you're worried that your nerves are going to cripple your performance, you can always do what I do to break the ice.
I don't like public speaking in any way, shape, or form. Unfortunately, I've been the best man in 3 weddings, and have to make the big toast in front of everybody....most of them people that I have never met.
So after completely freezing up, getting the shakes, and cutting my speech very short at the first wedding, I tried something different in the next one.
I walked up there, took the mic, and just said right off the bat "I'm a little nervous when it comes to speaking, so I'm just going to get that out of the way right now and start this off with a nice, long, awkward silence." I then proceeded to stand there motionless, breathing into the microphone for 3 solid minutes.
It fucking killed. People were laughing there asses off after the first minute, and rolling on the floor by the 3rd minute. It was easy as hell to continue after that.

Just something try if the nerves take hold of you too much right before showtime.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 3:20 pm

My biggest nerve is performance issues...spoken like a true man huh? haha. I'm good in front of people, I'm a karaoke dork, I sing every chance I get...as a matter of fact I was just a finalist in the violet fest here in pickerington ohio where we got to sing in front of a croud and 3 judges...it was a blast. But this is a little different, it's music I haven't listened to for ages...I just don't want to screw up the lyrics or sing it off key.

I guess it's time to get the CDs out and start listening again!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59423

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 5:40 pm

Yep, you gotta fuckin live that shit day and night up until showtime.

Wow, who would've thought the guy with the off-roading Jeep as his avatar was a karoake star?

cheers
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 10:45 pm

hahaha...funny thing is i just got back from the local bar down the street for karaoke night
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15303

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 7:52 am

all i can say is

" It's driving me insane
Although you try to fight
Dragged from the silence where you hide
'til you... Scream!!!!""

Good luck buddy and kick some butt out there!!! Misfits are cool as hell.

Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22829

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 7:59 am

I'm sure you'll do fine, just don't over think it and start listening to your old records/tapes and get that old dark groove back. You gonna be recording it?
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 am

I can imagine someone will be there at least to take pictures. I'll make sure we get a sitter so the wife can come along and snap some good ones...maybe get some video too.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Texted back and forth with my buddy today...our first jam session is Sunday...hopefully it goes well!
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 am

Just had our second practice this past Sunday. It's going well, but man, it's not easy. I've done quite a bit of singing in my time, but never have I sang for 3 hours straight, takes such a toll on my voice. At any rate, we finally have our set list picked out...here it is!

I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! Setlist
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 9:07 am

Tonights the show, wish me luck! I'll post pics tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:18 am

Man, the show was awesome last night, we closed it down, last band on the bill...had a great time.

I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! IMG_1562

I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! IMG_1561
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22829

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:28 am

Awesome! So, now that you got that first one out of the way, whens the next time you're planning on doing it again? Wink
I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! 3199963233
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 12:23 pm

We actually talked about practicing to do a full 45 minute full on Misfits tribute show. We probably only played 15 minutes last night. Not sure how many of you know Misfits tunes, but here's us from last night doing Astrozombies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf15eJ_mXdk&feature=plcp

Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:05 pm

One of my friends just sent me a vid of us doing some kinda hate...one of my favorite fits songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYbPSs9mJMQ

Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15303

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 8:02 am

Hell yeah Samger!!!! that was actually really good. you guys even have a bit of ramons sound to you as well.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks Gecko...much appreciated. Funny you say that, the other guys in the band did an equivalent show last year called "Ramones-a-thon" where they played all Ramones tunes, so they're big fans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!   I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too! Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm pretty stoked...and nervous too!
Page 1 of 1